Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my truck burns blue smoke only when it is cold out -10C (14 F) at idle the blue is present but when you hammer the throttle the blue smoke comes out like mad. but as soon as the weather warms up you can't hardly tell that the smoke is blue.

Another issue I'm having is that may or may not be related is the over flow for the coolant goes low after about 2 weeks I get the on board message that the coolant is low, so far this winter I have used 4-5 jugs of coolant just topping it up.

My Truck: 2001 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab with 235,000kms, Truck is mostly stock, Injectors were replaced at 200,000km's, in the summer I get an engine code for 'fuel pressure regulator performance' but no issues prevalent from this code so I didn't replace the regulator yet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Neil
:help

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
headgasket? if its using coolant and you dont have any major leaks its going somewhere. 4 or 5 jugs is a ton.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Possible HG, possible slightly lifted injector cup, possible water pump going bad.

The blue smoke on cold starts (below freezing) is normal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also check your balance rates on the injectors. Anything above -/+ 4 isn't within spec. Mine would smoke white when my injectors were out and had a raw smell. I think the coolant thing may be a lifted cup but I might be wrong hopefully someone will chime in that can confirm say for sure

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i see you just had the injectors done. anyone think the installer busted a cup loose and didnt notice, or didnt reseal the cup right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh didn't notice the injectors were replaced. X2 ^^

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ DANZIK - Yes I agree (and so does my wallet) that burning up 4-5 jugs of coolant is a ton. But the truck isn't having any issues other then the blue smoke. Is it possible the Blue Smoke is directly related to the loss of coolant?

Is it bad to burn the coolant? Can it have adverse affects on my engine or exhaust system? I'm also still not certain that it's not leaking out. is there a way to pressure test the system? I can't even find that radiator cap I assume the only way to fill is through the overflow?

@Thebiggids - The blue smoke isn't just at start-up it's constant and worse when on the throttle.
This might sound dumb... but what is 'HG'
is it possible the injector cup has raised up a year+ after the injectors were installed? because there were no issues until this winter.
If the water pump is going bad would that have anything to do with loss of coolant? or Burning Blue?

Thanks everyone for you time and assistance,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Injectors were replaced a while back 2+ years... I only put on about 10,000km's a year...

·
Registered
201 Posts
HG- Headgasket

Also you should check your balance rates on the injectors. Its not impossible for them to have gone out already. As for the coolant it could be any of the things biggids listed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would the head gasket be replaced at the time of the injectors?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Possibly but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right on! Thanks you for the help guys.

I guess I'll bring it into the the shop and see what they say on the issue.

Regards,
Neil

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
The blue smoke in cold weather is common. It's unburnt fuel. Your truck will run richer and not burn as good when it's colder as you said 14*f. So the smoke comes out blue. That is totally unrelated to your coolant issue.

You will pressurize the coolant system through the overflow tank. 20lbs is enough to do your test for leakdown. It may not leak at all. But if it doesn't, try running your truck at operating temp. The pressure from the cylinder will push the coolant out the overflow tank. Raise the RPM's and you will see it come out the overflow tube. If this is the situation you have a blown Headgasket or lifted cup.

You will not need to remove the heads for a lifted cup, but you will need to remove the injectors for the headgaskets. But by the amount it's leaking, and the miles on the truck, you probably have blown headgaskets.

I know it's alot to take in but,
-forget the blue smoke at this point.
-check your waterpump for leaking from the weephole.
-pressurise the coolant system.
(if it leaks down, pull the glowplugs and check for coolant in the cylinders)
(if it doesnt leak down, do the test I mentioned above)
(if you see coolant coming from the overflow, replace the radiator cap in hopes that it's a cheap fix)
(if it still leaks... Your going to have to rip it down to the cups and see if any have lifted)
(if no sign of lifted cups, pull the heads because your gaskets are blown)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you 01 D_Max that is very helpful.

I found a great diesel shop here in town that will inspect the issues at no charge.
So I will have them check it out and let you guys know that out come.

Thanks again everyone,
Neil

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thank you 01 D_Max that is very helpful.

I found a great diesel shop here in town that will inspect the issues at no charge.
So I will have them check it out and let you guys know that out come.

Thanks again everyone,
Neil
Your welcome.:drink

Sounds like you found a good shop! I hope it all works out for you. You can print my previous comment out and give it to them as a reccomendation of how to diagnose this the best way (cheapest and easiest things first).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts