Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I pull up to a stop light my truck starts to smoke blue/white only does it when it comes down to idle and not all the time anyone have any ideas

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Start by checking your injector balance rates...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
injectors ..do a search on here and im sure you will find way more then enough info

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok it's at the shop right now getting looked at. Don't really want to buy 8 injectors at 325 a injector. It just sucks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2004.5. It has exhaust erg delete air dog 2 pump and a program of some kind that was in it when I bought it. It has 188,000 on it

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
2004.5 makes it an lly right ? I believe on those u can get away with replacing one injector at a time but I'm sure someone will chime in and affirm or deny what I'm saying

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it's the lly. I just want the thing to run right I'm sick of the issues

·
Registered
619 Posts
2004.5 makes it an lly right ? I believe on those u can get away with replacing one injector at a time but I'm sure someone will chime in and affirm or deny what I'm saying
That is correct. I had to replace an injector awhile ago. Did just the one and haven't had an issue since *knock on wood*.

Just be sure if you're going to do it you're careful removing the plastic return line "T" mine broke off inside the injector and to make matters worse I lost the clip that holds it in. Had to drive an hour to get a replacement clip, lost a whole tank of fuel because it was leaking, then fucking GM charges me $60 for this little metal clip with a couple bends in it. I ended up ordering a repair kit for $10, it came with 4 of the clips, 3 "T"s and 1 "L" and enough return line for one side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's still in the shop. They didn't get to it today, they said it will be first thing in the morning I just hope it doesn't need a bunch of parts that would suck. So where is the best place to get a injector. I'm guessing a new one would be way better then a rebuilt one. I just don't want it to bite me in the ass. Oh and thanks for the help

·
Registered
619 Posts
Generally as long as it's a reman Bosch injector it should be fine. I got mine from Alligator.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help I will look into the rebuilt Bosch one hopefully it has a good warranty. So what do you think I should set the pressure on the air dog 2 at. I don't know much about it I was thinking about checking it at the fuel filter bleeder screw at the motor

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would leave it at the factory setting. I believe it is 10psi, they give you instructions in the manual on how to change it so I just checked it was at the 10psi when I installed, I believe each half turn is 2psi increase.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will have to check it to make sure thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's real easy to do, just loosen the nut and turn the threaded part with a slotted screw driver.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet thank you for all the help. I will check it when I get it back from the shop

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is correct. I had to replace an injector awhile ago. Did just the one and haven't had an issue since *knock on wood*.

Just be sure if you're going to do it you're careful removing the plastic return line "T" mine broke off inside the injector and to make matters worse I lost the clip that holds it in. Had to drive an hour to get a replacement clip, lost a whole tank of fuel because it was leaking, then fucking GM charges me $60 for this little metal clip with a couple bends in it. I ended up ordering a repair kit for $10, it came with 4 of the clips, 3 "T"s and 1 "L" and enough return line for one side.
Hey how long ago did you do this and where did you get that return line repair kit? Everywhere Ive seen them they want like $50 for em.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Hey how long ago did you do this and where did you get that return line repair kit? Everywhere Ive seen them they want like $50 for em.

X2

I've seen the kit in the $25 range but never $10......would like to know where also.

LLY/LBZ/LMM Return Line Kit | Injectors Direct

OP, they have good pricing on injectors too if you need them.
Did the shop turn off the injectors one by one to verify which were smoking at idle?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts