Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, sorry if this is the wrong section.

I'm getting ready to change the wheel bearings out on my boat trailer. It's got 2 3,500lb axles, with electric brakes. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to this. Obviously, it's my first time doing them.

I've watched several YouTube videos. None of those seem to involve a trailer with brakes. Just curious if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
465 Posts
The hubs are held on to the axle the same whether it has brakes or not. Depending how worn your drums & brakes are & if your adjuster is seized or not, will determine how easy the drum comes off.
Clean up brgs, check for pitting or wear marks on races & brgs replace as needed.
Check brakes, magnets & drums replace as needed. You can usually replace the brakes with backing plates & magnets as a complete unit for a decent price. If drums are worn replace or machine.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
You'll also need new inner seals....they don't usually survive being pulled to access the large inner bearing.

Don't usually see E-brakes on a submerged boat trailer axle. Usually they're surge brakes.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, hook. They are surge brakes. I was mistaken.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Keep it coming

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
After you remove the spindle nut, grasp the hub/drum and pull it back a bit, unseating the small outer bearing.
I then use a long oversized screw driver, blade against the spindle end, then ease the drum back and the outer bearing and large washer slide off onto the screwdriver, instead of falling to the ground and making a grease mess.

I posted a DIY thread years ago for a trailer service, but I just looked and the pic host dropped all of the pic links.
Worthless....hate the pic host industry.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice trick!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Here ya go;

Also;
Don't remove the wheel/lug nuts, leave 'em be, just slide the whole drum/wheel assembly off of the spindle and roll to the side.

Back side of drum, wheel attached, inner bearing and seal removed;

I use a 20" square piece of plywood as a work spot, for dumping all of the parts and the screwdriver trick.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. That's great.

Those pics are from 09. You never cease to amaze, Hook.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
yeah, I've moved on from the china bombs from days of old.
BCT.......bejing china tire.

I've got a lot of trailer wheels to service....had to streamline the process. :teehee
Forgot to add, there's a comfy HF roller seat involved too. Knees....no bueno. :howdy

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Lisle 34550 :howdy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good time to install bearing buddies if your trailer does not already have them. Be sure to get the double lip grease seal for the bearing buddy.
Great advice! These help to prevent water being drawn into the hub when you are backed into a boat ramp. They maintain positive pressure on the hub.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can also easily upgrade to disc brakes. They work much better and are easier to wash out if dunking into saltwater.

Several years ago i installed all new ss disc brakes, rotors and lines. No more corrosion. Then i upgraded with electric hydraulics. Mounts at the front of the trailer and provides 1600psi to the calipers. 8600lb trailer stops the truck now. And it works great with the truck's integrated controller.

All new led lights with waterproof connectors and now i boat instead of play let's fix the trailer today.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can also easily upgrade to disc brakes. They work much better and are easier to wash out if dunking into saltwater.

Several years ago i installed all new ss disc brakes, rotors and lines. No more corrosion. Then i upgraded with electric hydraulics. Mounts at the front of the trailer and provides 1600psi to the calipers. 8600lb trailer stops the truck now. And it works great with the truck's integrated controller.

All new led lights with waterproof connectors and now i boat instead of play let's fix the trailer today.
So they fixed the L5P to make the ITBC work with electric over hydraulic brake units?? My 2012 won't actuate electric over hydraulics without some kind of an add-on. Pretty handy when you tow new RV's for a living. You never know when you're going to back up to one that has disc brakes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lisle 34550 :howdy
Yeah those packers are handy until you run into a bearing that won't fit. Then it's good to know how to pack one in the palm of your hand. And when you're done, the palm of your hand has never been cleaner!
I had one just last week that I wasn't actually intending to repack until I dropped it in the driveway. Picked it up all covered in sand and gravel as many very unsavory words filled the air. I should have been using your big screwdriver trick!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
So they fixed the L5P to make the ITBC work with electric over hydraulic brake units?? My 2012 won't actuate electric over hydraulics without some kind of an add-on. Pretty handy when you tow new RV's for a living. You never know when you're going to back up to one that has disc brakes.
Yes they did.

I don't know what year they changed.

I was thinking the 2018 manual said either so checked and found it says:
"The vehicle may have an Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system for use with electric trailer brakes or most electric over hydraulic trailer brakes."

Couldn't recall about 2011, so checked found OM said -- " The ITBC system is used only with trailers that are equipped with electric brakes."

I have know idea what 'most' means in the description.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Most means not all

I have the dexter eoh and it works.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mods, sorry if this is the wrong section.

I'm getting ready to change the wheel bearings out on my boat trailer. It's got 2 3,500lb axles, with electric brakes. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to this. Obviously, it's my first time doing them.

I've watched several YouTube videos. None of those seem to involve a trailer with brakes. Just curious if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!
This is a good opportunity to put in oil bath bearings and not every have to grease the wheel bearings again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts