Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 LMM, DPF delete running Edge cts tuner. These mods were done when I purchased the truck and while looking through the gauges on the Edge tuner it says that I'm getting 1 - 3 psi boost. I'm new to the diesel world as well as to turbos but that seems really low.

When idling the exhaust changes tones some times to sounding like a jet engine, to a nice low exhaust rumble. Does this have anything to do with the turbo? I'm lost here any ideas?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have a 2009 LMM, DPF delete running Edge cts tuner. These mods were done when I purchased the truck and while looking through the gauges on the Edge tuner it says that I'm getting 1 - 3 psi boost. I'm new to the diesel world as well as to turbos but that seems really low.

When idling the exhaust changes tones some times to sounding like a jet engine, to a nice low exhaust rumble. Does this have anything to do with the turbo? I'm lost here any ideas?
Is the 1 - 3 at idle if so that's normal.
Max when your on it should be around 26-32 depending on what hp tune your running.
The exhaust changes tones is also normal, it's the turbo vanes opening and closing :thumb

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I see no boost at idle. Mines an LLY so idk if theres any sort of a difference. Also i have the "rumble idle" from ATP which has no hissing at idle by moving the vanes, dont know if that affects it too. Id like to add..if you were only seeing 1-3 pounds while accelerating it would be so obvious you wouldnt have to post on here lol.
Firt pic is idling
Second pic is cruising on flat highway at 60

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts

The jet sound and hissing is due to the turbo vanes changing position. Its possible to tune the moving so that a more rumble idle is achieved.

Cruising in top gear empty really won't put too much load on the engine so you'll see lower boost numbers. I see roughly 7-8psi cruising on semi-flat freeway at 75-80mph, but that is keeping in mind my extremely non-stock configuration and I'm running 265s rather than stock 245s.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Yes also note in scheatzj's signature that hes running twins with moar fuel and alot of other goodies. So his will differ from a stock (or close to stock) setup.

BTW scheatzj, your signature makes me very jealous lol.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes also note in scheatzj's signature that hes running twins with moar fuel and alot of other goodies. So his will differ from a stock (or close to stock) setup.

BTW scheatzj, your signature makes me very jealous lol.
I got lucky and bought her built lol. I've gone WOT once in hot tune and spun all 4 so I let off and haven't done it again...power becomes usable after 60mph :neener

I just found a Twin Turbo Hennessey 1000 '01 Viper GTS up for auction, wish I had more money!

But going back on topic, OP I suppose we need to know when you are looking at the boost number. Keep in mind it won't build hardly any boost in park or at idle.

This.
Is the 1 - 3 at idle if so that's normal.
Max when your on it should be around 26-32 depending on what hp tune your running.
The exhaust changes tones is also normal, it's the turbo vanes opening and closing :thumb

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I got lucky and bought her built lol. I've gone WOT once in hot tune and spun all 4 so I let off and haven't done it again...power becomes usable after 60mph :neener

I just found a Twin Turbo Hennessey 1000 '01 Viper GTS up for auction, wish I had more money!

But going back on topic, OP I suppose we need to know when you are looking at the boost number. Keep in mind it won't build hardly any boost in park or at idle.

This.
Now that i read that (in the red) i remember looking through your build thread..still impressive!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Cruising down the highway the boost will be low, and at idle it could be 0.
When I said on it max 26-32 I mean put your foot thru the floor board before and let it shift from 2nd to 3rd.
Your CTS keeps records of max temps, RPM's, speed, Boost, put your foot to it and after your done scroll thru the records and see what the max is on everything.
Which means you don't have to keep a eye on the gauge just on the road then just check everything in the records after.
Touch the menu button, then touch the diagnostic, scroll down to records touch the button, records is just above fuel injector balance rates.
If your boost psi is lower than 26-32 then you might have a problem.
If you've already got on it pretty good, then you'll already have some numbers to go by stored, check them out then you can clear the records.
Then you start all over again with new recent records.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I read on a spec sheet at www.duramaxdieselspecs.com that the LMM's maximum boost from the variable geometry turbo is 20 PSI nominal. Mine runs around there, maybe 22-23 PSI with the pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I did 6 boosted launches back to back taking off at 23 psi in my deleted lml with stock air and just a lift pump just to make sure it was awesome........ it was :D

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I don't pay much attention to specs on subjects like this, I go buy what mine did stock and what it does now. And what most others claim stock and modded.
I installed my Westach EGT/boost mechanical gauge the day I bought my truck new.
Max boost was 25-26 stock, modded depending what tune I'm running is 28-32.
Now one thing that might have helped a little was getting rid of the stock airfilter and installing the aFe proguard 7 OEM drop-in airfilter.
More airflow = Cooler EGT's = a little more power. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank all for the replies. It was 1-3 at idle. It close up to at 15 when I get on it. I have no idea what this truck did stock. I just had no idea what the normal pressure should have been.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Just watch yourself above 60 and even 70 in 2wd. She will float out on the back end real fast when boost hits.

http://youtu.be/z-tsPcJV-Fs

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Edge shows me 28psi as max boost achieved running Robs 90hp tune

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My Edge shows me 28psi as max boost achieved running Robs 90hp tune
I'm curious are you still running the stock paper airfilter??

With ATP I have a 40 hp towtune and a 25 hp mileage tune both with turbo brake. On my 40 hp tune I can hit 32-33, yesterday I put my 25 hp tune back in and I hit 31.
For my intake I did the DIY stock intake mod and running the aFe Proguard 7 OEM drop-in airfilter.
I'm going by my Westach mechanical gauge AND my Edge CTS shows identical readings as my Westach when I bring up the records.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes stock filter stock unaltered airbox. Depending on the accuracy of the filters plunger style vacuume gauge in the intake tube my filter is in good shape. I always thought even the stock setup provides plenty of air to support the roughly 90 extra HP.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Stock air intake and filter can handle up to around 500hp before it becomes a restriction in the system. It's far far better designed than the panel filters on the earlier trucks.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Stock air intake and filter can handle up to around 500hp before it becomes a restriction in the system. It's far far better designed than the panel filters on the earlier trucks.
Just curious where are you people that claim that the stock airfilter will perform just as good as a aftermarket airfilter up to 500hp where are you people getting your info from. :rofl
Certainly NOT on a dyno comparison, I've compared on a dyno. :thumb
I'm sure the stock filter can handle up to 500hp, but your vehicle will run a hell of a lot better and the EGT's will be cooler with a aftermarket airfilter.
Plain and simple, try it sometime in your life. "End of Story"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.