Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004.5 2500HD Diesel with a 6" Fabtech lift installed. Truck has 20" wheels with 35" tires.

I'm not a big wheel guy, but I'm fine with the 20's that are on there. When new tires time comes around, I'm probably going to drop to a 17 or 18 inch wheel.

I'm thinking about slightly lowering the lift kit on there and wanted some input. I figured I can lower the front a lift with the torsion bars, and 5" blocks in the rear to match. I've been thinking about doing this to slim down to a 34"ish tire in the future.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed fab tech about this and they told me my 6" lift could not be lowered. I'd like to turn my 6" into a 4". Has anybody done this that can tell me exactly how to do it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know the torsion keys are cranked a little, but I don't know how much. How much will it lower if I un-crank them.

I also looked at the rear and it looks as if the block that is under the leaf springs is only about 2" tall. Would I remove the blocks that are in there all together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been busy the last few weeks, but I will take some pictures and post them by tomorrow night. Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok here are some pics I took. The rear blocks measure 3" and The plate they are on add another 1". The Fabtech tech manager said that the block should be 4".

The bolt in my torsion keys is about halfway. I only took a pic of the passenger side tho.

I am curious as to what you all have to think.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
The previous owner might not have installed the block that came with the kit. I bought a zone 6" lift for my LBZ and set the lift at 4.5" in the front and scrapped the 5" block and bought a 1.5" block. Truck sits perfect for my tastes. But just keep in mind that just because the front is a certain lift doesn't mean the back is out of the same box

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
yeah the back is easy to change up but the front can be more complicated depending on your setup. How far are your jounce stops off the lower control arm? that will give you an idea of how far you can lower it. When you get the front where you want it measure it off and buy the appropriate blocks for the stance you want.I want to lower mine about 1.5" to 2" but it will smash the jounces so im cutting the RCD mounts off the cross member and mounting some custom brackets I had made off the BDS 4.5 kit

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
I thought the jounce stops were supposed to make contact all the time? I thought they were a part of the "spring" for the front of our trucks.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Subd I want to do this also

·
King of Battle
854 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
So it should be 1/4" from touching the jounce stops? Mine are pretty squished but then again I have a 6" lift lowered to 4.5" so it makes sense they would be wrong

1 - 20 of 22 Posts