Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the original brake calipers on my 2002 Silverado 2500HP Duramax. I have read horrible stories about rebuilt/re-manufactured OEM parts failing soon after installation. Its a lot of work to replace them so I don't want to go through this. Can someone recommend third party quality replacements? The replacement must meet the minimum specs of the OEM. Keep in mind, I am not looking for performance, just simple replacements just as good or better than the OEM's.

Thanks ahead of time.

Rob

Premium Member
just simple replacements just as good or better than the OEM's.
There's nothing inferior about New OE calipers.
Flush your brake fluid yearly, consider DOT4.
Keep if fresh and your calipers will last the life of the truck.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1571222&cc=1380271&jsn=532
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1571990&cc=1380271&jsn=533
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1567996&cc=1380271&jsn=534
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1568640&cc=1380271&jsn=535

Registered
I've been wondering about replacing mine as well. Is there anything to just replace the seals and dust covers, or is just outright replacing the whole thing the wiser choice? Truck has 300K on it, and I'm sure the calipers are original.
Hook'em, how do you find all the part numbers and such for everything? I see you have an answer for everything I've looked for on here.

Premium Member
I used off the shelf rebuilt calipers on my truck, from the local Auto Value parts store. They seem to work just as well as OE.

Registered
Hook'em, how do you find all the part numbers and such for everything? I see you have an answer for everything I've looked for on here.
Hook'em hasn't been with us for a while. If you use your VIN# when looking up part numbers at a GM-based website, you will see the correct part number for your particular vehicle. This means that you don't have to go thru the multi pick-n-choose year,make, model .... entries.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's nothing inferior about New OE calipers.
Flush your brake fluid yearly, consider DOT4.
Keep if fresh and your calipers will last the life of the truck.

More Information for ACDELCO 1722403
More Information for ACDELCO 1722404
More Information for GM GENUINE 1730549
More Information for GM GENUINE 1730550
Ron thanks for taking the time to respond with an approach to my problem. However, what you provided does not answer my question nor did it address the problem. The problem was not about OE equipment being bad. It was after the fact of purchasing REBUILT/RE-MAN products. I agree with you about OE calipers being good but disagree with you about REBUILT/RE-MAN products. That is why I have a tendency to purchase OEM now for certain parts and third party for others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been wondering about replacing mine as well. Is there anything to just replace the seals and dust covers, or is just outright replacing the whole thing the wiser choice? Truck has 300K on it, and I'm sure the calipers are original.
Sorry for the delayed/late response. I hope this finds you in time. Answer: always purchase OEM for safety equipment, engine parts and especially sensors, brake system including hydrobooster and power steering pump, and transmission. Third party is just fine for body, dash, electrical, seats, molding/weather parts, and suspension/steering system (moog, detriot axle, AcDelco). That has been my experience with maintaining my truck on most repairs for over 9 years. So, yes, I would purchase GM OEM replacement calipers for your truck (safety component even though the auto industry does not make that claim). I would not waste time with rebuilding it myself. You get a warranty with the OEM as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ron thanks for taking the time to respond with an approach to my problem. However, what you provided does not answer my question nor did it address the problem. The problem was not about OE equipment being bad. It was after the fact of purchasing REBUILT/RE-MAN products. I agree with you about OE calipers being good but disagree with you about REBUILT/RE-MAN products. That is why I have a tendency to purchase OEM now for certain parts and third party for others.
Ron I meant Hook'em. I get lost in the threads with who said what.

Registered
i had to replace both my rear calipers today, i got oreilys remans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts