Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2009 2500, and I have replaced the factory trailer brake module located on the frame rail by the spare tire carrier 2 times now. My dad has 2 2008 trucks as well, and he has done his a number of times as well. I would like to know if there is a fix that will stop the module from going out, or if I should just install an aftermarket trailer brake controller. And if an aftermarket controller is the best option, what brand is recommended? Thanks

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There are 2 closely related devices on the frame rail, the TBCM Module, and the TBCM Relay. If I understand correctly, you replaced the module 2 times - but not the relay. If so, did you have the new modules programmed? And you were replacing with new GM OEM or ACDELCO parts?

Yes, it can be a pain to get the TBCM system correctly working, but it is a great system once it is working. I bought my truck when it had been in service about 6 months and my TBCM was not working, but I got it fixed, and never had a problem since then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the module I believe. It’s about $50 from ac delco. All I did was unplug the old one and plug the new one in. Works good until it doesn’t. I’d like to keep the factory system if possible. I never had the module programmed to my truck. Didn’t think that was a necessary thing, since the “service trailer brake system” light went away when the new one was installed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I replaced the module I believe. It’s about $50 from ac delco. All I did was unplug the old one and plug the new one in. Works good until it doesn’t. I’d like to keep the factory system if possible. I never had the module programmed to my truck. Didn’t think that was a necessary thing, since the “service trailer brake system” light went away when the new one was installed.
The actual trailer brake control module indeed DOES need to be programmed. Sounds like you've been replacing the trailer brake control relay. That does not need to be programmed.

Are you and your dad pulling the same trailers?
Why, specifically, are you just replacing the relay?
Is there a message on in the dic? What message are you getting?
Do you only get a dic message when there is a trailer connected?
If so, What codes are stored in the trailer brake control module when the message is on?
What modifications have been made, or what kind of damage is there, to the wiring between the relay and the trailer connector in the bumper?
What does the vehicle harness side of the trailer connector look like?
What does the inside of the trailer side of the truck trailer connector look like?
What is the resistance through the ground wiring of the trailer your pulling, if the message comes on only when a trailer is connected.

Just to go over a few ideas that might be good to go over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts