Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 trailers. 2 of them give me issues when I hook up in that I do not get the "trailer connected" message. Also when I manually slide the OEM brake controller I do not get the dashes signifying braking. I have hooked up a 2001 duramax with aftermarket controller and it does activate the brakes. the same with a 2015 ford f150 (not sure if controller is OEM or not). on one of my trailers i i discovered both brakes on drivers side had a cut wire. fixed this and all good. my question is would an aftermarket controller still provide breaking action in this case. I was told that the ITBC's on the chevys are very sensitive and need everything to be perfect in order to work.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think the factory controller looks for feedback or a certain voltage to make sure the circuit is complete. If it sees something it doesn’t like it will drive you nuts with the “check trailer wiring” and insanity inducing ding ding ding. I’ve had the same thing happen you describe with my company truck (aftermarket controller) and my Duramax with the factory controller. Company truck didn’t care that the brakes weren’t working, my truck threw a fit as soon as it was hooked up. I had a broken ground on the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the factory controller looks for feedback or a certain voltage to make sure the circuit is complete. If it sees something it doesn’t like it will drive you nuts with the “check trailer wiring” and insanity inducing ding ding ding. I’ve had the same thing happen you describe with my company truck (aftermarket controller) and my Duramax with the factory controller. Company truck didn’t care that the brakes weren’t working, my truck threw a fit as soon as it was hooked up. I had a broken ground on the trailer brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts