Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im almost positive that my truck doesnt have a brake controller stock, but im about to buy an enclosed trailer with electric brakes. My question is i know i wont be able to make adjustments to the trailer brakes, but will they still work?
I kno probably a dumb question
Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
no.... your electric brakes on ur new trailer will not work unless u have installed a trailer brake controller in the cab of ur truck. some of them are very easy to hook up just be patient with it and set aside some time to do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont think so other wise trailer brakes would slam on or off power for brakes goes through controler

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
nope they will not work. You're probably thinking of surge brakes not electric brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
You need a brake controller mounted in cab as stated above. Tekonsha makes a good one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all right thanks looks like i need to look into getting one.

whats the best brand and how hard are they to install?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tekonsha prodigy is a good one. Shop around, prices really vary. If you've never done one leave a few hours to figure it out. You will find all the wiring under the dash and hood on the drivers side. The power wire is connected to one of the studs at the very front of the under hood fuse box. Get a nut from the hardware store before You start.
Have fun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Our do not have the controller from the factory. I just put a Prodigy controller in my truck and am very happy with it, it can handle trailer brakes on up to 4 axles.

my dads LMM can with a factory integrated controller. i was jealous :rolleyes:

·
Registered
566 Posts
they will not work as stated. and brake controllers are super easy to install, just get the gm harness and the rest is cake. an if you've never done one theres videos and crap every where to help ya out. hopefully im not being missleading cause i have had to do a few. when i put mine on the duramax it took like 20-30 minutes

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a nice wiring harness that you need to get. It plugs into the distribution box under driver side dash. Its allready wired to the factory trailer plug. Makes the install a smap.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anybody know what color wires are suppose to be in which spot for the pigtail on the brake controller? I think I have one or 2 that are in the wrong pin
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The early dmax harness has two pins different than the later-- changed about 03. A new harness is about $15 -- you can switch the wires, but I don't remember the ones. Someone over on Diesel Place posted before-- might do a search there. Sorry

·
Registered
25 Posts
When we bought our 31' TT (7200lbs) I had a brake controller installed by the RV store. They installed one made by "Brake Force" that was horrible! It was timed. The brake controller gets 14.4v when you hit the brakes no matter how hard/soft you hit the brakes, it's up to the brake controller to determine how much voltage to send to the electronic brakes on the trailer.

The timed ones send full charge in about 3 seconds. That "Full charge" is variable depending on how much you turn the wheel on the brake controller.

If I had it set so that coming to a stop felt "normal" then when I was on the freeway and barely hit the brakes the truck surged to a stop in about 3 seconds.

If I had it set so that it felt "normal" when I was just slowing down on the freeway, then I would have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop at a stop light.

I switched out a day later to the Tekonsha Prodigy (My dad has the same one) and couldn't have been happier, it's proportional so it felt "normal" whether I was just slowing down or coming to a complete stop. It was WELL worth the extra money.

Now I bought a new 2500HD with the integrated brake controller, and I can't WAIT to haul that travel trailer next week!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tekonsha Primus here, works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just added Tekonasha Prodigy to my truck. Bought the harness which is cake. The hardest decision was where to mount it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having issues with my trailer linking up with my brake controller in my truck. I have the factory integrated brake controller in my 09 duramax and it's not recognizing it. Any suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts