Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the brake squeal is a rampant problem, my truck included. I have had the brake pads recently replaced. I do not have any new squeal (yet), but I do have a weird noise coming from the rear brakes. Every time I apply the brakes, I hear it. Even my kids do. Hard to describe, but what I think it may be is the pads "grinding" on the retention clips. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Has anyone take the new pads out and greased the backs, the guide pins, and the clips?

thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does it sound like a dump truck when it stops? Like somebody playing a trombone with gravel in it? My brakes do that frequently but not necessarily any grinding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 2021 does the same thing, more noticeable cold and in reverse. I pulled pads and greased all the slides, pad backs ect .....no change

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it sound like a dump truck when it stops? Like somebody playing a trombone with gravel in it? My brakes do that frequently but not necessarily any grinding.
no, no squeal or noise yet. just a weird, stutter, grind, pfft type noise. hard to describe. it does it every time i push the brakes. i can go back and forth on the pedal and it does it. slow speeds like in a parking lot

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 2021 does the same thing, more noticeable cold and in reverse. I pulled pads and greased all the slides, pad backs ect .....no change
hummm, well that's not good. i was hoping greasing everything would be beneficial

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there is a TSB to replace the pads to a different material but looks like you may have done that already?
yes, had the pads done a couple of weeks ago. the squeal is gone. i just finished up greasing everything. i hope i have different results than you did. i will see shortly

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I had the pads replaced by the dealer via a TSB. My hav started the squeal again after 15K miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I think the grinding noise has been fixed, at least on the rears. i still have to do the fronts.
I am pretty sure the noise I am hearing is the pads moving and grinding on the retaining clips they ride in. It definitely sounds like metal on metal and i can reproduce it with rubbing the pad edge on the clip. I noticed the clips have black paint on them and most of it was chipping off where the pads ride. I assume the dealer did not replace the clips/hardware when they replaced the pads. I will do the fronts either today or tomorrow and report back

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brake noise is fixed. the noise i was getting was indeed the tangs of the pads grinding on the retaining/holding clips on the caliper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts