Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 chevy duramax 4x4 started pulling to the center lane during braking so i replaced the front right caliper that seemed to correct the problem for awhile then it began to do the same with a vibration and some drag in the front so i replaced the rotors along with the brake pads on both sides, after i put it all back together i noticed alot of drag in the front passenger tire so i thought it might have been the wheel bearing all along so i pulled it back apart and replaced it to, that allowed the tire to spin free untill i put the caliper back on then it gets alot of drag back. I went ahead a gave it a test drive and everything works well with the exception that the front passenger rotor is smoking hot do you guys think the new caliper is got a problem or any other suggestions?:help

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I'd say the caliper is sticking....but I'm no expert in brake systems....granted i change any part out.

I'd check that and make sure you got all the air out of the lines..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks im goin to get another new one tomarrow at the parts store an give it another try sure would have liked to spend that $500 on performance parts.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
well I would say if it was the caliper that was messed, I bet they would let you return it for an exchange.

Unless it was along time ago of course. But wouldn't hurt to ask them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
maybe just try bleeding the system again to make sure that all the air is out of it and that the copper washers are seated properly so that no air can enter the system. the parts store should give you a new one though if it is deffective

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys the caliper is only 4 or 5 months old so they should exchange it out for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try cracking the bleeder screw on caliper when the tire has a drag on it after road test. If cracking the bleeder releases the brakes, the brake hose or something farther up in the system is bad, if it makes no difference caliper is bad and hanging up. If it is a caliper sometimes you have to get some heat in the unit for it to hang up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The rubber brake line from frame to caliper is collapsed inside. keeps master cylinder pressure trapped causing caliper to drag.Hose camp on control arm impropley squeeze hose together. Replace hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That makes alot of sense because when i put on the new rotors an pads i went to squeeze the pistons closed so i could get the caliper on an could barely do it of course when i went to the driver side it did not take hardly any effort at all. Thanks im gonna try it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Word of advise. Dont push fluid back up to master on newer trucks. You can push crud into abs unit and screw it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure when you put everything back together the caliper pins move freely and lube them and make sure the caliper slides have a little lube on them as well. I work at a dealership and have seen a ton of metal caliper pins seized in the aluminum bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts