Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna put this here because these trucks will have the most miles but this pertains to any and all 99-present C/K series.

what are you guys doing for brake rotors. i've yet to see a truck with more than 25k on it where the rotors hadn't started to rust. been doing a lot more of the abs recalls lately on the higher mileage trucks and front and rear rotors all are rusted on inside face and outer face. front and rear. most only have about a 1 1/2 inch stripe down the middle of the face that is actually usable for stopping. it's almost as if the full pad isn't hitting the rotor due to flex in the bracket. gm has a problem here and their replacement rotors aren't any better.

anybody have any recommendations on aftermarket rotors?

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
no problems with mine, but I do not live in a state that uses salt on the road either (I assume MN does). That in itself is going to eat up the rotors. I don't know anyone that has had problems...but in dry snow alaska...I don't think I would. You might want to ask the question on other forums and see what they are coming up with....I would even ask the question on dodge and ford forums to see if they are having the same problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they salt the heck out of the roads here. don't know about the ford boys. dodge has crappy rotors anyway. better off replacing them instead of machining because they'll warp faster and a lot worse. i found this out when i had my dodge gasser. we have a lot of wierd issues that a the rest of the country doesn't see for some reason.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
33k on my rotors, no issues yet but i have seen different truck with the issue u are talking about! Havent heard of any fix for the problem, maybe it comes from not driving the truck all the time. my truck has been driven everyday since new!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe. the last generation didn't have this issue at all. in fact the inside of the hats rust so badly that we have had to beat several of the rotors off with 10 lb hammers by crouching underneath and smacking the inside face several times. it madness i tell ya!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rotors??

skeeterkilr,

We sell a ton of the Powerslot Cryro'ed rotors and Hawk pads, shorter stops, no fade etc etc. Plus they start with raw castings and machine their own blanks, then they Military spec cadium plate them 100% so there will be no corrosion. A ton of the warpage issues folks have on these trucks are from rust forming in the vent holes and causing uneven heat dissappation. Give us a call if you have any questions on them.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll keep ya in mind, mark. i don't have one, but my father in law does and he'll be in this predicament some day.

but i bet if i twisted your arm you could probably find some rotors for my dodge if i ever need them.:rof

·
Registered
35 Posts
They salt roads the hard up here in NW PA. My rotors are all stock. Fronts still have original pads! Almost 80k on the truck. I turned the rear rotors and replaced the rear pads at 56k. I consider that to be great.:) Also as my truck is six speed I do not have the Allison to help me out with braking.:gearjamin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah that's pretty good. pads seem to last fine up here too.

btw.. your 6 speed should be able to out engine-brake that allison everytime if driven correctly. all the allison is, is a computer sensing load for you. you should be able to do that better than the trans computer ever could.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Diesels dont have copression braking. Compression braking is actually Vacuum braking. In a gasser the braking is caused by the engine trying to suck air past the closed throotle body. A diesel has no air throotle to cause a vacuum. I can down shift all I want it really does not do much. That is why big trucks have Jake brakes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
With 60k on my 02, the front and rear rotors look great....from the wheel side. Backside is something different!! Fronts are using about an inch, and the rears are slightly less. I remember my days working at a AC Delco distributor, this was a major problem with OE rotors!! I would hope that they are better by now. I think I might go the Brembo route though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i'm gonna put this here because these trucks will have the most miles but this pertains to any and all 99-present C/K series.

what are you guys doing for brake rotors. i've yet to see a truck with more than 25k on it where the rotors hadn't started to rust. been doing a lot more of the abs recalls lately on the higher mileage trucks and front and rear rotors all are rusted on inside face and outer face. front and rear. most only have about a 1 1/2 inch stripe down the middle of the face that is actually usable for stopping. it's almost as if the full pad isn't hitting the rotor due to flex in the bracket. gm has a problem here and their replacement rotors aren't any better.

Don't even get me started. GM rotors SUCK. GM refuses to step up to the plate and take care of the issue. I have spent $700+ MY COST for PARTS ALONE twice in the past tw years due to rust. One truck onlu had 15K miles on it. They will only turn the rotors under warranty. So when they could be turned later in life due to new pads, I know have to buy more rotors. :mad:

The "customer service" reps refused to help. stated they would not even discuss the matter anymore and finally hung up on me. No wonder they're failing.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have 119,000 mile on my 05. My front rotors were warped and all have a lot of rust. I was able to have them turned at the same time I replaced all of the pads. They had less than 50% wear. The machine shop told me not to work about the exterior rust and that the rotors could be turned at least one more time. They work great. Just finished a long trip towing a 14,000 pound fifth wheel.

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
skeeterkilr,

We sell a ton of the Powerslot Cryro'ed rotors and Hawk pads, shorter stops, no fade etc etc. Plus they start with raw castings and machine their own blanks, then they Military spec cadium plate them 100% so there will be no corrosion. A ton of the warpage issues folks have on these trucks are from rust forming in the vent holes and causing uneven heat dissappation. Give us a call if you have any questions on them.

Mark @ DPPI
I thought you had to be a forum supporter to promote your company on here?

·
Registered
362 Posts
very old thread, maybe was a supporter once?

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts