Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here lately while braking under normal conditions (not slamming them or towing crazy weight) my brakes seem to be surging? Not completely sure how to put it into words. It feels like theyre not holding pressure or something. It is not something extremely noticable. The pedal may be a little soft but when i press the brakes whether hard or normal everything still works well. The fluid is fine, there are no leaks in the braking system, and the pads and rotors are just fine. I have read somewhere about the power steering having something to do with the brakes on diesels. Can someone shine some light on this for me? Or did i dream that up? If thats the case I do have a steering line a little leaky. Could this cause weird braking? Im sorry for the vague info but like i said im not really sure how to explain what it actually is.

Edit: The pedal itself is not surging, i can just feel it in the truck itself. It is more noticeable while towing, but is still there when unloaded.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not pushing it or anything but does anyone have any ideas? My brakes seem to be weaker than they should be but still work just fine. I know its an 05 with 111xxx miles but id like to get this fixed. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Over time the rubber lines get weak and swell. The don't leak but they don't work as well. Also over time brake fluid absorbs water and will cause symptoms like you are describing.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Have you ever had the brake fluid flushed, had mine done last year and what world of difference. The two most overlooked items when a used truck is purchased, we change all the other fluids and not the power steering and brake fluid...:thumb

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Ill give this stuff a try and also check over and probably replace my rubber brake lines.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So im looking at a set of the russell SS brake lines. Ive read some mixed reviews. Some guy left a review that said he was under the impression the went from the hard line to the caliper and he never said anything else. Has anyone else used these? If so could you please give me some details. Im planning on flushing the system with all new fluid and also replacing the rubber lines as they are old and i do a good bit of towing so i want my brakes to work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you say surging the only thing I can think of is warped rotors. Been riding the brakes when towing lately?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts