Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 duramax a short while ago and last week while sitting inthe yard ( after a big rain, any connection? ) I found while trying to turn the steering wheel or push on the brake pedal I would get a lot of chatter in the pedal and steering wheel, In addition the truck would not turn it's wheels easy or have good brakes. I installed a new belt and half changed the steering fluid ( looked dark ), No change, Tried to bleed the system but no change. Any idea's?,

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
You're getting no power steering or breaks? Are you sure the belt is on right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new belt looks fine, if fact it has more tension on the pulleys then the old one, pulleys look to be running nice and straight as well

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You are probably running low pressure from the power steering pump. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way against the stop. The pump should make a different sound, because you are demanding full pressure.

If it doesn't, the flow valve in the pump is probably stuck open. Probably best to replace the pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very hard to turn the wheels to the stop, sterring wheel chattering like crazy, I know I could not drive it down the street. Very strange it started doing this all at once. is there a valve or something in the system that can fail
or could it be dirt?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, the flow valve in the pump bleeds off the high pressure. Try this first-- warm up the engine, and run the RPM up to about 2500 RPM, and hold it there for a 15 seconds. Then give it a couple jabs to increase it. Now let it come back to idle. That will sometimes clear the debris in the valve.

If that clears the problem, flush the entire power steering system. You can do it by removing the return hose, [soft hose with a clamp] plug the tubing in the pump, and attach a longer hose to the return hose. Run the engine, and catch the fluid as it comes out. Of course you can only run it for a few seconds- fill the PS and run again. When clear clean fluid comes out, reinstall the hose and refill the PS.

If you want to remove the flow valve -- pull the driver's inner fender skirt. You can see the power steering pump-- remove the high pressure line, and then the large nut that the line screws into-- be careful, the valve and the spring will come out together. That is the flow valve and that is what builds the pressure in the power steering and brakes. If you are careful, you can unscrew the parts of the valve, and clean-- be careful, there is a ball and spring, and they have to go back correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off Thanks for the help guys, As last mentioned I tried reving the motor/pump at 2500rpm a few times, but I can not see any chance. i did manage to get the truck over my pit in the barn and started looking for problems. From what I can see it looks like there were a couple of the hydrobooster pressure lines replaced, in addition it looks like the steering box is from a salvage yard.
I am starting to think I have either a large amount of curd in the system or a bad component like the pump. I must say that in all the years I have had trucks I never had one have great steering/ brakes one day and the next nothing. Any insight or suggestions????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts