Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking into purchasing a 05' 4x4 cc/sb auto, vehicle has 54,000 miles (all stock) and is immaculate. I am preparing for a cross-country move from NC to AK, due to transfer with the Coast Guard. From all my readings, I have noticed alot of talk about overheating, intakes, and more acronyms than I can remember. All I am looking for is some mods that will improve mpg's and keep the truck from overheating. I am towing a 16' enclosed trailer through the northern states, total mileage is around 5,000.:gearjamin. The trip is going to be a blast, can't wait. I just don't want to end up on the side of the road. If anyone has some experience with this I could surely use the help. Hell, you never know. If you are on my route I may stop in and have a cold one with you.:drink

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
Welcome to DF. For the 05s you will need to do the turbo mouth peace mod, that will help with the overheat issue you are referring to. The intakes on these are fine, unless you are going over 500 hp so save your money and just buy a good replacement filter for it. AMSOIL Synthetic fluids throughout to ensure they are fresh, especially with you driving cross country and putting them on your own schedule. This will help improve your fuel economy along with fuel additives and cetane booster.

There are several tuners on the market today. On the high end, EFI Live is without a doubt the best. You can do about anything with EFI. In the middle comes canned tuners with anywhere from 2-4 or 5 preprogrammed tunes. All of them claim improved performance and fuel economy but you will find that improvement in some is minimal and really depends on how you are driving it.

If I can be of further assistance, just PM me.

Take care,

·
Registered
225 Posts
to get you started, put the new mouthpiece on from an '06 LBZ duramax. There are several other vendors on here that sell the upgraded mouthpiece. You're looking at around $100 for that upgrade.
Next you want an exhaust to help keep your exhaust temps down, improve power, sound and mpg. MBRP makes a great exhaust at a great value. I spent $250 for the aluminum kit full exhaust. You may want to spend more for the SS version where you'll be with ice and salt on the roads.
I know everyone's got a different opinion but I would just stick with these two upgrades for your first trip. Once you get to know the truck, then you can start thinking about what kind of programmer you want and what you're looking for. These trucks have more than enough power stock and you'll get the mpg benefit you're looking for with these 2 to start.
Good luck to ya

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys. That seems to be the talk around the scuttlebutt. I work with a guy who owns a dodge 2500 who claims there is no other. He is saying that the injectors on the LLY engines are having problems as well. I have not read a whole lot on this issue, curious if anyone else has. Thanks a lot for all the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.