Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I snapped my CV Shaft, so I bought a new one from advanced auto and installed it. Now when I drive my truck There is alot of squeaking and grinding noise. It is a really loud constant noise, Im pretty sure the noise dies down when I turn right.

Any Ideas?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
did you check the hubs and make sure you didnt break it too?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Check your front wheel bearings. I haven't done a CV but the symptoms sound like a wheel bearing....

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Does kinda sound like a Wheel Bearing, but just for shiatz and giggles, look at the new CV shaft.

One of the ones I bought from them, through a boot in less than 20miles:rockin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it was the hub, would it still make the noise if I took the cv shaft out and drove it?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Something is telling me thats it's NOT a good idea to do that...... I think I read a post where somebody did that and totally destroyed the wheel bearing. Just jack up the front and see if there is any play in the wheel when you grab it at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and lift up and down. Any play at all is bad....

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I would not drive it without the outer half shaft bolted in place.

Since you bought it from Advanced Auto, it did not have a core right?

I know I got to keep my old CV's, and I took the outer boot off, then popped the pin out. That way I can go 2wd if I am pulling the camper for a long trip.

As far as I know the wheel bearing's on a 4wd are different then on a 2wd "they do not have a rolled lip. or something like that".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was no core charge, I got to keep my old one and I still have it

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have some front left wheel slop so I am going to do the wheel bearings. Do I need any special pullers to do this? Also I am going to buy it from Advanced; are their parts decent or is it worth buying a GM part?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I have some front left wheel slop so I am going to do the wheel bearings. Do I need any special pullers to do this? Also I am going to buy it from Advanced; are their parts decent or is it worth buying a GM part?
dmaxstore.com a vendor here has a really good deal on the bearings...timkin parts very high quality i have them in my truck...

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
X2 on finding Timkin bearings... We have a chain here named Parks auto parts and they had them for a good price. I wouldn't do another brand unless it was the only way.

Ps hell NO on the GM part!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
half shaft

hey i was wondering how the half shaft from advance auto has been working. i replace one on a 97 k3500 and bought it from advance auto the boot came off and was making all kinds of noise,grease all over, about 30days after i put it in. (this was last year)on my 03 gmc i bought a half shaft from advance back in july and now in january i noiticed there was something hanging from my driver wheel. it was the clamp to hold the boot on the shaft, so this was the second time a shaft went bad like this on me. it is such a mess trying to clean up all the grease and shit, not to mention its winter. i dont think i will ever buy another shaft from advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts