Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004.5 LLY with a Banks Six Gun and ETG. Every now and then, if I drive for 2 hours or longer, then shut it down... When I fire it back up, it will die after a few seconds. I will have to jump out and re-prime the fuel system. It never seems to happen if I only drive for an hour or so before killing the motor, only after 2+ hours of driving. Has any one else had this happen?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If it starts back up after you re-prime it, my money would be on a bad fuel line

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Like Noble said, 15 year old fuel liens are probably ready to be replaced....

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I spoke with my father, he is 72, but has always been a heavy dsl mechanic. Even an '04 is new to him. He wanted me to ask if there were certain lines to look for, or any and all lines? An older friend of his that was an actual mechanic suggested it may be the fuel filter housing/primer... Your thoughts? And am I supposed to say everything I have done to the truck? I see alot of that on here? I am proud of the work I have in her...? Sorry, I'm 42, a carpenter, build computers, but don't know the protocal for a forum... I am not common to social media... Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the fuel filter. Maybe loosing prime. When was the filter last changed. Also I’ve had bad experience using wix plastic filters on my lly. ACDelco all the way. Never had a issue. Order from amazon. $35

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
What he said^ I bought a bunch of WIX filters, the top seal didn't seal, it was loose where it fit into the housing. I threw them away and got OEM filters.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
It could be the fuel filter head. Rock Auto new with filter around $100

For the braided lines this thread has a fix. It describes the fuel lines collapsing but they can also leak air into the fuel because they are under suction, not pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

For the braided lines this thread has a fix. It describes the fuel lines collapsing but they can also leak air into the fuel because they are under suction, not pressure.

Thanks for the info. And sorry, I misinformed you guys... We only use Fleetgaurd filters on the farm, Not Wix (don't know what i was thinking)... Fleetgaurd FS20002, this filter was changed about 8 months ago, has maybe 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it. So far, I haven't had this happen with this filter, but I haven't drove it over two hours at a time since last servicing it. This truck is kind of a "toy truck", it sits alot in the garage. It really only is driven for short trips to town, vacations pulling a boat, or if the snow or ice gets bad enough I need the 4wd. Later this summer, its taking a 1,400 mile run, hence why I was asking for help so I hopefully don't have any issues, and have plenty of time to try and fix this issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts