Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with breaking wheel studs on my left front wheel since I put new wheels on my truck. I put new wheels on and took them off and broke 2 studs. Put the wheel on got the studs and went to put them on then broke 3 more taking the wheel off :mad:

IDK what the deal is. My buddy has a theory that racing or lauching in 4wd cause the studs to bend possibly with a loose wheel or something. Then they finally breaking now. Anyone else here of this?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
I am having a problem with breaking wheel studs on my left front wheel since I put new wheels on my truck. I put new wheels on and took them off and broke 2 studs. Put the wheel on got the studs and went to put them on then broke 3 more taking the wheel off :mad:

IDK what the deal is. My buddy has a theory that racing or lauching in 4wd cause the studs to bend possibly with a loose wheel or something. Then they finally breaking now. Anyone else here of this?
With your front wheels off the ground, is there any travel rocking it to and from you? My first guess would be hub assemblies. First thing I did after getting my beast home a few weeks ago was put Timken front hub assemblies on. Even at only 50k, the stock ones had about a millimeter of travel. That would be more than enough in a hard 4WD launch situation to damage studs. Those hubs aren't supposed to move at all.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
are you over torquing them?

should be around 110 ft lb

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
if its a problem I would use the torque wrench to tighten down new studs, if the older ones a over torqued there junk
if you over stretch them they become brittle

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
are your lugnuts long enough? if they get tight but dont hold the wheel tight I guess that could cause your problem...dont know though

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
I know one thing...my lugs are never going on at 140ft lbs, even though that is what GM recommends. I broke several studs on my old Avalanche (also recommended @ 140ft lbs). I tried a Snap-on torque wrench, a Craftsman torque wrench and a Mountain torque wrench. All of them started getting easy around 130 and then POP! I have to say that the Dorman studs I put in place seemed a lot stronger, but the lugs went on at 100ft lbs, no more. Never had any more issues whatsoever. In my experience, 140ft lbs is way too much for a light duty truck. Maybe something like a Kodiak or F-450+.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i also had 2 studs break last week when i put the new wheels/tires on, also i will not follow gm tq specs 140 is Way to much!

·
Registered
461 Posts
i remember my neighbor saying he broke 16 a couple of summers ago because he was following the 140 tq spec.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would just put some anti seize on the bolt's! Talk to a tire place, most of them I delivered to were buying studs all day long. The studs that come stock on GM vehicles are almost TQ to yield, they are so soft. Dorman bolts are better, but I have seen some that were a little harder, like the ones that come in the wheel lock kits do even better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts