Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really smoking out the breather tube, not really any oil ( just a little residue) leaking but alot of smoke. Like I am embarrassed at a stop light smoke..... I have 130K Edge chip, 4" exhaust, AFE intake. I have taken the truck to two mechanics. The injectors are done, both tested them as well... No diesel in oil either. Not burning much oil and it is not overfilled. Could this be something wrong in breather?? OR PCV valve. Both dealer and diesel mechanic tell me that "a little" blow buy at 130K is normal. The only thing I have not had done is a compression check but the truck runs fine!! HELP??:help

·
Registered
328 Posts
smoke from the breather is usually from excessive blow by, do a compression test

·
Registered
124 Posts
might want to change out what they call pressure diaphrams on the valve covers that work along with the pvc they were around 40 for both at the dealership... I just bought a set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got an 01... yesterday I developed a pretty serious fluid spit from the breather tube at highway speed. Injectors, huh??? :help :confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Might want to look at the drip on the end of the tube a bit closer, see if there is any coolant in it. When a head gasket starts to leak the water getting in the oil will steam it's way out the breather and looks like a lot of blowby.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Blown head gasket if its not blowby...
Easy way to check is put a peice of plastic or glass near it and see if it condenses blow by wont water vapor will

·
Registered
72 Posts
He means to use a clear piece of glass or plastic in front of the vapor to see if it steams up, meaning there is moisture in it. Your breath will do the same thing on a mirror.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any condensation...... Nor have I noticed a drop in my coolant level. I did change the PCV valve yesterday just because I had ordered one a while ago. This did not solve the problem but I wasn't expecting it to. I have ordered the pressure diaphrams that were suggested. I am going to install those and see what happens. If I still have the blow by I am going to have a compression test done, its just weird because I feel it has too much power to have a piston and or ring problem????? Would I notice substantial power loss with a bad ring? I am at a loss if these diaphrams don't work, I love this truck but I hate this smoke, not to mention the mess it leaves as the wind pushes it toward the rear of the truck..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P.S. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I have been to two dealers and neither one has been able to even give me a suggestion other than "injectors" which are new and "thats just normal".....

·
Registered
839 Posts
With the motor at temp is it also smokin out the oil fill if so that is a good indicater of bad rings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will go check. I can say that it doesn't smoke at all until the engine is up to temp. I can put my hand there and I feel a little bit of air pressure but it doesn't turn to smoke until the engine is up to temp. I don' know if that info is useful or not..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yea sorry about the bad grammar I'm on my iPhone lol and yea if there is no substanial amount of water in the oil than it ain't a blown hg
but I do know that if your oil sweep ring is broke then it will let alot of blow by out

·
Registered
552 Posts
Talked to my mechanic and he said that if your oil is old it can break down under heat and smoke
and if it's not your oil or hg then it has to be your rings
that they can hold pressure at the compression stroke, but let some escape during the combustion stroke due to either weak rings or scored cylinders
and new rings and rehoned cylinders are the fix but to get it done quickly because it will get much worse

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Compression test only measures compression at the compression stroke not the combustion/expansion stroke
And the rings you may be able to do an inframe rebuild...
But its still much more work than just hgs
You are gonna need main and rod bearings, hgs, a complete gasket set...
And if you cant do a inframe
You need all the same parts but you also have to pull the motor

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.