Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right spot for this but whatever... anyway i broke my crank the other day going down the highway and my question is is it worth spending an pile on building the bottom end when i fix it or is there some other budget build i could do?? ive kind of searched around for a budget build but didnt really find anything newer for info...the sad part is i just had my injectors and what not replaced less than 5000 miles ago... id like to have around the 600-650hp some day or do i just build it stock and leave it an settle with what i got???

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
What tells you the crank is broke? Whos tuning? What were you doing when this "crank" broke.

What kind of money are you wanting to spend? You can make 600HP on a stock bottom end with enough air. You can keep the injectors you just replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tells you the crank is broke? Whos tuning? What were you doing when this "crank" broke.

What kind of money are you wanting to spend? You can make 600HP on a stock bottom end with enough air. You can keep the injectors you just replaced.

Well that's what we think it is... Might be wrong tho... When you spin it it's sloppy feeling... I was going down the interstate an turned onto an off ramp an as it started slowing down an downshifted it started making a grinding noise after the first shift an each one got worse I pulled over an as I put the truck in park it idled ok something wasnt right so just for the hell of it i switched tunes an it started lopeing i dont have a lope tune I shut it down had my buddy go up to the front an listen as I fired it up an shut it down something around the balancer sounds like it grinding or chattering sounding but the bolt for the balancer is still tight?? I had a local guy tune it an I didn't like his tunes... I was looking into a different one but never had a chance to have it done...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Bobo
684 Posts
We have a few options for your situation. Our DuraBlock is a low cost engine build kit made for a street truck and will handle up to 800 rwhp. 2001-04 LB7 Duramax Tow Performance Short Block (Dura Block)

We also offer a a DuraBlock option called the Stage 1 package which is a premium version of the standard DuraBlock package. It includes a full girdled lower end and is capable of handling some competition use at the 800-900hp level. 2001-04 LB7 Duramax Stg.1 Race,Pull Shortblock (Durablock STG.1)

Please contact us if you need any help. We also offer all the do it yourself parts in a package if you want to do your own assembly and have your own machine shop do your block work. Complete Engines & Kits for Duramax 01-2010

All our full motor builds come with free Autocal tuning too. We also offer engine Dyno tuning in a package. Please let us know if we can help you in any way. Our gasket kits are very nice and well priced too.

http://dieselx.com/contact-us.html

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Have some hold the flywheel with a screwdriver and then turn the balancer and see if they move at the same rate. I could see my balancer wobbling when it was running when mine broke.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have some hold the flywheel with a screwdriver and then turn the balancer and see if they move at the same rate. I could see my balancer wobbling when it was running when mine broke.

No they don't there's some hesitation between the two... An yes mine wobbles also when it was running..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya thats kinda what we figured sure is a depressing moment when you actually realize it...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I haven't done anything with my shortblock, but I would say for 600-650hp get a budget build going. LBZ rods, cut LB7 pistons and rebuild the stock bottom end, balanced and keyed.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
You can build a short block for 4_5k. Lbz or lmm rods. Cut lb7 pistons, Main hone,balance rotating assy.,and main studs. You can reuse your heads and injectors and such. I'd get an ati damper too. That's the setup I'm running along with a few extras

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'd do an lml shortblock personally. Although its not extensivley tested yet. Lml rods are 65 $ a piece and pistons are under 30 $ a piece. Lml crank is around 650 $

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I ran a lml shortblock all last year in my 04 and had over 650hp all year

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info guys it's much appreciated!! At least I know I got some options. I think I'm leaning towards the lml short block tho

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is it possible just to put in carrillo rods an cut the pistons and replace the rest?? cuz the rods are the main weak link in the bottom right?? or is there something else i should worry about also??

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Pistons are the weak link in lbzs.

Edit. Saw yours is an lb7. Yea rods are weak link.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what about the lb7 thats what i got...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You could also use lbz rods. Depends how much hp you wanna push.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts