Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
LLY, Leveled, S&B CAI & Mouthpiece, MBRP 3” down pipe & 4” exhaust.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In tow mode, hauling 2k in my bed in stop and go traffic, started seeing faint white smoke coming from hood. Pulled over, looks like my serpentine belt is starting to melt on the edges. Flipped the oil fill cap upside down and sat fine. Gauges were standard, trans, engine, coolant, oil all normal temps. Outside temps 49 degrees. Help please. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much can do for a serp without taking it off, identify the idler or piece that is causing the disturbance....then replace the culprit and then serp belt. They come off pretty easy get it to a pep boys or parts store and borrow a ratchet get the belt off
The fray is pretty even on both sides. It’s starting to melt and gob up, not sure what’s causing that friction, would that happen on a belt that’s simply reached the end of its life? Or is there likely a contributing factor that I can’t see peering down?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Its suspect to me that each side is melting. I'd check the idlers for play first. Or could be something starting the onset of seizing maybe with a drag on the belt?
AC compressor seizing? that's another one. Usually they lock up though and take your belt right out within seconds. Even though its cold, defrost will use your ac system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its suspect to me that each side is melting. I'd check the idlers for play first. Or could be something starting the onset of seizing maybe with a drag on the belt?
AC compressor seizing? that's another one. Usually they lock up though and take your belt right out within seconds. Even though its cold, defrost will use your ac system.
Got it to the shop, idler, tensioner pulleys and belt are getting replaced. Thanks

Reactions: Piper One and Bozdx

·
Registered
2017 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed
277 Posts
I had a 04.5 back in 2011 and both idler pulleys seized up within a couple weeks of each other. About 160k on it at the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved

Reactions: viper8315
1 - 9 of 9 Posts