Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2005 Silverado Duramax. Last month in Waco I lost throttle at a gas station. towed to Chevy Dealer, who replaced EGR Valve. Been runing fine since. Today in Edinburg, the check engine light came on again, running fine, no immediate concern, so I kept driving another 50 miles ot hotel. Shut it off, now it will not start. Rapid fires when attempt to start. Any ideas would be appreciated?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Don't know what that is Rapid Fires--??

Welcome to the Forum-- the Check Engine Light will store a code in the ECM, and that points to a place to look for the problem. Without the code-- all anyone can do is guess.

Check this first--On the passenger side of the alternator, you will find the FICM wire harness-- it is tied down with a Zip tie--- cut the zip and pull the wires from the wire harness-- inspect carefully for cuts and bare wires. The sharp corner of the bracket it is tied down to, cuts into the wires and causes shorts. This may not always throw a code.

Insulate with a piece of heater hose, to prevent further problems.

Common problem for a 4.5-- 5 LLY engine. Everyone with a LLY engine should do this easy fix NOW!

Pump the primer button on top of the fuel filter housing, does it get firm-? Does it start-?

Check these and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Priming worked

Well Hallelujah, I primed the fuel filter pump and it starts and runs fine. When I shut it off thought I have to manually prime it each time. I am 280 miles from my home mechanic and do not go home until Wednesday. I might just prime it manually until I get it home. Anything wrong with that appraoch? I don't want to get stranded on 281 on the way north.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Need to check the bleeder screw and around the filter for leaks. Your housing might be cracked or you might just need to get a reseal kit and rebuild the filter housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaks

When the EGR Valve failed last month in Waco, The Chevrolet Dealer replaced it, and also replaced the fuel filter. When I went to prime the button I did not see any leaks or smell any diesel. I was driving 70mph coming south from San Antonio and got about 60 miles north of Edinburg, felt the truck like it was hit by a gust of wind, at looked down and the engine light came on. I think it must have lost power for a split second or something because there was no wind at the time. I just kept driving with fingers crossed as everything else looked good. I had just filled up at teh Valero in Premont about 10 miles back. Maybe I got some bad diesel, but it is running okay once it starts. It was after I shut it off at the hotel this all began. I think I will drive it over to AutoZone tomorrow and ask them to check the codes now that it is running when manually primed. You all have been a huge help.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Yea get the codes they help a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Codes

A heavy truck diesel mechanic scanned it today at the jobsite I was working at and he said it was P0340 and P0341, camshaft position sensor. My mechanic in San Antonio said he does 1 Chevy camshaft position sensor for every 50 Fords he does it for, and cannot believe it. I had it towed to a Chevy dealer who is going to diagnose it in the morning. I drive only extremely well maintained vehicles, and in 25+ years cannot remember being stranded by a vehilce on the road. This diesel has had to be towed while I was out on the road twice since I bought it in March this year. Not liking my duramax diesel at this point. I bought used instead of new due to the economy, and everyone and all research said this would be a good vehicle, 250,000 mile engine cycle blah, blah. One more time, and its going to auction. Sorry little beast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I hate to hear that man. Before I got mine, I researched like crazy and all signs pointed to these being the most reliable... by a long shot. But all that means nothing if the one your driving is broke. Hopefully this is the last of your troubles for a while.

PS... that part of TX is not a fun place to be stranded. It's a long way from anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts