Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Replace my broke WIF sensor,or do I let it ride??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my fuel filter changed last week and I broke off my WIF sensor ,appartenly the wires were pretty brittle where they entered the plastic body of the sensor.....

Here is the question though:........Being that I have never seen a wif alert [and thats a good thing],do I need to replace it,I have 170k miles on the truck,ya'll think it is crucial to replace it or not???

·
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my opinion only,but ley me know if anyone has better info!!

In my OPINION I don't really need it,now I voted NO cause that my thoughts on it,I have no way of knowing it works,I have never seen an alert [I'm not complaining cause that is great]so if I am wrong PLEASE IF ONE OF YOU GUYS feel I need to know something or replace it let me know please........Thanks again fellas!!!!:)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
you can run with it unplugged just fine if you cant justify the $60 replacement cost.

odds that you ever see the light come on are pretty limited, as in 250+k in a DMax, I have yet to see one light up either.

They run fine without the sensor plugged in as the circuit is N/O.

In my opinion they should have had a normally closed circuit, as over half of the trucks we see have a wire broke off the bottom. That way people would know if there was a problem, as the wires break inside the insulation before they come all the way out.

Its a pretty piss-poor design.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
We have trucks come in out shop all the time with them broken and never think twice about it. Roll with it.

·
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh it is unplugged,imagine right where the wires enter the plastic under the sensor,opposite the plug side....it's just like they were brittle from heat or wear/whatever and broke almost flush with the plastic,I just looked at it a sec and finished doing my filter,put a zip tie to hold the other end of the wire off the engine and went with it,1400 miles later It ain't gave a hint of trouble .........only time will tell,If I was really worried I could have soldered the wires back,but i just didn't think it would harm anything?

·
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have trucks come in out shop all the time with them broken and never think twice about it. Roll with it.
Roger!!......i have to say it's gonna be fine,thanks to all you fellas who responded!:drink

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I have owned three Diesel trucks (2 DMax's, 1 powerjoke) and I have never had a water in fuel warning, ever!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've never seen the wif light come on either. have a good buddy with an 06, he apparently got into some really bad fuel a while back. the dealership ended up replacing all 8 injectors, im not sure that was all necessary but anyway...they said there was a ton of water in the fuel. his wif light never came on. however if it was my truck i would repair the thing because you never know when it may save you some big trouble.

·
Registered
94 Posts
IMO, It just takes that one time to leave you out of a bunch of cash on repairs or sitting on the side of the road, all over a $60 part. I learned over these last few years to never say never!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i took mine out of the truck and run a kodiak plug in the bottom. them sensors are nothing but problems. so NO dont buy anything one. if the light comes on just jump the two wires together and it will go out

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
From the few people I know that have gotten the light, my dad one of them, at the point the light came on it was already too late and the damage was already done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the WIF sensor is not that essential. Is their a good quality less expensive fuel filter that does not have the provision on the bottom for the WIF sensor?
Curt

·
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the few people I know that have gotten the light, my dad one of them, at the point the light came on it was already too late and the damage was already done.
well that was kinda my point,so you know what I mean then

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
the service tuck at my work doesnt have one. it had a dummy plug in the bottom of the filter

·
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya,well that what I HAVE NOW I guess:DI aint gonna sweat it,by the time that sensor knows it,the parts are shot anyway:rolleyes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
yes wix is a good filter...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts