Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need to smog my truck, and I charge a CEL for cylinder #8 glow plug. The glow plug looks like it’s been there for a while. I tried to pay a shop to remove it, but they didn’t want to since a part may fall into the cylinder. Is there a way to by pass the CEL? Has anyone ever taken a broken plug out successfully? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have 2 broken glow plugs stuck in my block (#6 and #8) that would not extract, I partially drilled them out and they still would not extract, didn't matter how much PB Blaster or heat I used. I ended up having to stop because I was afraid if I drilled any further the tip would drop into the cylinder. My suggestion to you is to get the Merchant Auto tool for this, basically a socket attachment for an air hammer, really really wish I would have purchased it before I even attempted to take it out. I am leaving them as is until I pull the driver side head, if I ever have to. Luckily I live in Florida, no inspections and doesn't get cold enough to need them, the CEL is just kind of annoying.

If you just want to get rid of the CEL, I have heard of folks soldering a resistor inline of the wire to trick the GPCM into thinking the glow plug is good, but I can't remember how many ohms it should be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s what I was thinking. I was thinking about putting some kind of resistor on it. I just need to know what to do. I can worry about extracting the plug later, but I have to pass smog right now.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
go to an electronics shop and get a 4.5 amp resister.

Remove the lead from the top of the GP and put the resister inline between that lead and a ground. This will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and working.

Then clear the code and go get your inspection.

I like the idea posted above about the stuck bolt remover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts