Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Exhaust ideas?!

I am not up to speed on diesel exhaust systems. I’ve owned gassers my whole life and this is my first diesel. Does anyone have any suggestions on a turbo back system? I am not afraid of a little noise. I want to be able to hear it when I wamp on it boys but like always the less unwanted noise in the cab the better.

Let me know what you think!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looking to do something with my setup as well. I'm thinking of going with a profab performance downpipe and then a 5" straight pipe. I want the deeper tone of the 5" but im a little worried about if im going to have to much drone in the cab. It is my daily driver and I am on the phone alot so I dont want the annoyance of cab drone.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I run a 5" straight pipe and used to have the 3" DP, it is really a 4" till it gets past the tranny then it goes into a 5" so cab noise isn't bad at all..

I'm going to have somethin different fabbed up to where I can run more 5" pipe..

·
Registered
239 Posts
love my 4" MBRP Straight Pipe.... no drone

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Get a 4" with a muffler and if it's too quiet then get the straight pipe replacement piece, it's not expensive at all. That way you still have the muffler if you ever want to quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^^ thats what i did i love my 4" straight and i have my muffler for whoever might buy it someday... i have a tiny bit of drone on the freeway but no worse then a bad set of tires humming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does it throw any codes if you cut out the cat and muffler?

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
3 inch dp and 4 inch with muffler or 5 if you want a deeper tone, wont throw any codes either if straight piped

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does it throw any codes if you cut out the cat and muffler?
this all depends on the truck... mine didnt/hasnt, but others will. if you have a programmer you can clear the code. no big deal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys... whats everyone’s opinion on going with a 5'' straight pipe too much drone or will I be ok?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
you will be fine :drink

·
Registered
472 Posts
get a 5 incher for sure man. i went back and forth between a 5 inch and a 4 inch and so glad i got the 5. i got a magnaflow and its 5 inches all the way from the down pipe back. ive seen others where the front pipe is 4 inches and then it goes into 5. no drone what so ever and really talks when you get on it. im going to be getting the muffler delete pipe soon however.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
We've got an awesome 5" straight pipe kit. Fits awesome and is very popular on this forum. I run it on my lmm and after 2 years it still looks brand new.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Yes and no. Magnaflow's front pipe is almost completely 5". Only a foot or so is 4". But their mufflers are only 3.5" on the inside so its not true 5" either.

Every other kit has a 4" front pipe and is 5" after that.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Go with a 5". I have had both. I started with a 4" and later changed to a 5". I like the 5" much better. The look and sound is superb. IMO. I went with the 5" Husker sales.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get a 5 inch man. You won't regret it and the magnaflow does have a 5 inch front pipe. If you are worried about the muffler just get a delete pipe. They also have the best clamps IMO. Lifetime warranty too, I know others do as well though

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have a 4'' magnflow exhaust with a single chamber 10 series race flowmaster on it and i think its the best thing ever i had the same system with a straight pipe and found no problem with drone the turbo kills that but what i did find just from trying different mufflers is the a straight piped duramax makes a sound i thought was road nose or tire noise it sounds much like someone bleeding off compressed air behind the truck when your cruzing down the highway i never really notice it or relized how loud it was until i put the flowmaster on it the flowmaster sounds just like a straight pipe if not better maybe 1 or 2 dbs lower but not much but without all that unwanted noise at Cruz plus i wouldn't be surprised if the truck made more hp with the flowmaster than a straight pipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts