Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm 19 an I don't have alot of experince working on diesels but I've been addicted to them since my dad gave me his 1990 7.3 idi :) I have a 2007 lbz with a banks cold-air an 4" exhaust and a bans 6-gun tuner. I don't know what I should do to it next, I'm thinking snow perfromance stage 2. After that I'd like to go with a new turbo and headstuds but I haven't looked into which brand would be best for an LBZ. So my question is basically what do you think i should do next? I will appericate all an any advice/words of wisdoms:D Thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
you're not going to like it but banks is a big waste of money. ditch the tuner and step up to EFI Live from Rob.

also get a transgo JR. i don't forsee you having 4k layin around for a tranny build.

so EFI
Transgo Jr.
and a lift pump.

that will push the performance envelope of stock ally

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinkin about ditching banks for efi live but i like the IQs gauges, and whats transgo jr? i haven't heard of it :( but im just now getting into the performance market

·
Registered
956 Posts
x2 to what drew said, When i bought my lbz in 08 i made the mistake of wasting thousands of dollars litterly on different programmers cause i came from a power stroke myself, i went through 2 edge boxes, banks with the iq when that came out and ppe hot+2, and outta all that i had nothing but headaches. When i finally read up on efi live man i was blown away and pissed off at myself at how much money i could have saved towards my twins and trans being built if i just knew about efi to begin with. Really start out talking to the guys about efi here, robs a great guy, i dont know personally but have heard nothing but great things, ive got nicks tunes from duramaxtuner and have had nothing but great results.
I personally took off my aftermarket air intake and put the stock back on and gained about a mpg back with the stocker, I dont know what kind of style driving you do but if you havent limped your tranny yet i dont see putting the jr in yet until you get your trans built. I run my efi on level 5 which is the 120 setting and ive beat on her pretty good and knock on wood i havent limped it yet. Maybe im just lucky or just a great truck. Just start saving and find a good trans builder then get the twins and go from there man! You cant go wrong you already got the best motor of the duramaxs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice if i go ahead an get efi live should i get head studs pretty soon after that? i'd hate to blow a head gaskest

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I agree with drew as well.

Tranny upgrades should be high on your priority list.

Ive seen plenty of 600~hp trucks that are running the factory head bolts... granted ive blown my hg and only have a 550hp tune. i think tuning errors and nitrous contributed to that tho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about a suncoast tranny? I heard they were the best diesel transmissions around.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
As long as you have $4000 plus to spend on one go get it! You won't regret it

·
BAD ASS LBZ that is
633 Posts
Like everyone else has told you look out for a limped trans. If i were you i would ditch the banks and get EFI. After that start saving money for a full trans build once your alli is built your options are endless but as long as you are running performance tunes on a stock alli your on barrowed time! As far as head studs dont worry about them you wont need them for a whyl ive seen 50psi of boost on stock bolts hold for a long time (with good tuning of corse). And on the transgo jr note its a good peace of mind untill you get a built tranny but it is not a cure all you will limp it if you drive it hard.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well I'm not a college kid anymore but I too am just starting to build up my LBZ and heres what I got so far. The stuff in my sig, (bullydog is getting sold within the next week or 2), 5" magnaflow ss exhaust (4" is getting sold as well), just placed my order tonight with Scott from Screamin' Diesel for my EGR delete and Batmo wheel, have a Transgo Jr sitting right here next to me, and going to order EFI from Rob and Dustin at ATP. PCV reroute, Airdog II 165, Transfer case upgrade kit, and Edge CTS insight for gauges are all on the list before the end of the month as well. Now all of this cost way to much $$$ lol but deals can be found like I bought the Magnaflow that was suppose to cost a grand for $476 shipped to my door. Take your time search and read and read and search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so it seems like the 1st thing I need to do is get transgo jr, I looked the kit up but 2 or 3 different ones came up??? Which one do i need to get?(they were all around 70 bucks) Before I switch to EFI I'm proably going to get a lift pump an snow performance stage 3.. Is it possible for me to keep using the banks IQ for gauges if I go to EFI?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
get the transgo jr. for the allison 1000 6 spd. all our vendors sell it.

get a liftpump then efi.

pushing the envelope with w/m doesn't seem like a good idea stock trans...

·
Registered
8 Posts
i must be having some great luck with my trans then. my trans is bone stock. but im running a 120 horse bully dog and snow performance water meth. i only drive it a coulple times a week, but it gets ran pretty hard, i think the only reason its lasting this long is cause my lbz is pretty light

·
Registered
8 Posts
i put my truck on the scale and it was 6100 lb, give or take a little, but from the sounds of things EFI live is the way to go?

·
Registered
637 Posts
IMO I would save for a trans first than you can add what ever you want after that , and not have to worry about limping it . just saying ...

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yes EFI is the ultimate tuning tool for the dmax, and it's on its way to becoming that for cummins. go EFI and don't look back. the difference between it and your bullydog will be enormous

water meth is cool, but to me it's not a preliminary upgrade

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok cool thanks! yeah the only reason i got water meth was because when i was running my bully dog on stage 3, i could hit 1600 on my pyro at the end of 3rd gear. but the water meth didnt help out all that much, and i mix it 50 50

1 - 19 of 19 Posts