Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have bought an 01 ccsb 4x4. Going to build a dedicated puller.
Whats your guys opinion on building a long block?

What rods?

Aftermarket pistons or cut lb7?

What kind of headwork?

Do I really need a custom cam?

My goal is a solid reliable 800hp on a single cp3 and single charger.

I will be taking my time on the build and can anyone recommend a good machine shop?? Would be nice if it wasnt on the other side of the country so that I could deliver the block and such :drink

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
subscribed good luck!

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Well I have bought an 01 ccsb 4x4. Going to build a dedicated puller.
Whats your guys opinion on building a long block?

What rods?

Aftermarket pistons or cut lb7?

What kind of headwork?

Do I really need a custom cam?

My goal is a solid reliable 800hp on a single cp3 and single charger.

I will be taking my time on the build and can anyone recommend a good machine shop?? Would be nice if it wasnt on the other side of the country so that I could deliver the block and such :drink

Thanks guys
I will be building a sold 800hp truck one day and I have done some good research. I will tell you what I am doing and you can go from there.

I am doing aftermarket rods, stock LB7 pistons that are coated but not cut. Keyed crank and cam head work by a local shop that is similar to the So Cals but flows just a hair more maybe with some new valve springs. Main studs, I already have head studs, I have a big CP3 already I would go with a 85% or 120%, I have a 66mm charger, 60% injectors, and this winter it will get manifolds and up pipes, and MA motor mounts to keep my motor from shifting as bad as it does now.

This is a budget build mind you, if you can afford pistons I would suggest them because once you get to 800hp and you try a national pull you will need more power to keep up! lol

·
Registered
891 Posts
Eff all that dude, buy excablb7's engine that is for sale on duramaxdiesels, way cheaper, fully built and ready to roll.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eff all that dude, buy excablb7's engine that is for sale on duramaxdiesels, way cheaper, fully built and ready to roll.
Im not big on having stuff built, would rather do it myself that way when it comes apart I know where to place blame..:rof

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Im not big on having stuff built, would rather do it myself that way when it comes apart I know where to place blame..:rof
no doubt that'll eventually happen if it's gonna be a puller lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
I will be building a sold 800hp truck one day and I have done some good research. I will tell you what I am doing and you can go from there.

I am doing aftermarket rods, stock LB7 pistons that are coated but not cut. Keyed crank and cam head work by a local shop that is similar to the So Cals but flows just a hair more maybe with some new valve springs. Main studs, I already have head studs, I have a big CP3 already I would go with a 85% or 120%, I have a 66mm charger, 60% injectors, and this winter it will get manifolds and up pipes, and MA motor mounts to keep my motor from shifting as bad as it does now.

This is a budget build mind you, if you can afford pistons I would suggest them because once you get to 800hp and you try a national pull you will need more power to keep up! lol

Thanks man!! Afford???!!! hell I couldnt afford the truck!!! haha

I hope the corn crop is good this year!!

Im selling all of my other toys to fund this project, and working my wife..

Im not sure on what to do for the pistons still yet, Im going to try to get some prices together on cut and coated lb7 vs aftermarket, and decide from there.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

Im selling all of my other toys to fund this project, and whoring out my wife..

Im not sure on what to do for the pistons still yet, Im going to try to get some prices together on cut and coated lb7 vs aftermarket, and decide from there.
I have a dinnner function next thursday. I'll send you a blank check. Tell her to wear something classy but sporty:cool:

and I'm reaaaaallllyyyyyy just kidding so please don't get mad lol

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts

Im selling all of my other toys to fund this project, and whoring out my wife..

Well when it comes to pistons if you stay with the LB7 no need to cut them there are plenty of guys running uncut pistons with no issues. I have been told by quite a few of them that its not the lips that you need to worry about its where the wrist pins are that are the weak part.

Cost wise I think it'll be around $800 for getting your pistons coated compared to about $2500 for the lower end aftermarket pistons.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like ill go with coated lb7s then.

Im really wanting to overbuild because I know the 2.6 class will keep moving forward and making more and more hp... I dont even know if 800 will be competitive in 2.6

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Sounds like ill go with coated lb7s then.

Im really wanting to overbuild because I know the 2.6 class will keep moving forward and making more and more hp... I dont even know if 800 will be competitive in 2.6
Nationally no 800hp wont do it you need close to 1000hp to keep up now that the 2.8 class is no longer. But bigger state pulls you will be doing pretty good. Toward the top of the class I'd say.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
It's crazy how much power is necessary to compete. It seems like 10 years from now trucks will have 500+hp stock (if emissions/gov allow) And You won't be competitive in anything unless your pushing 3k hp lol.
Just thinking aloud
Goodluck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's crazy how much power is necessary to compete. It seems like 10 years from now trucks will have 500+hp stock (if emissions/gov allow) And You won't be competitive in anything unless your pushing 3k hp lol.
Just thinking aloud
Goodluck.
I agree, top fuel cars running 3 second quarter mile, how much faster can the bastards go???

The end must be near!! hahaha

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I agree, top fuel cars running 3 second quarter mile, how much faster can the bastards go???

The end must be near!! hahaha
ya gotta figure we can't go much faster because it's getting to a point where the "G" will almost kill you. Hell the raptor fighter jets need govenors on the motors because they're powerful enough to kill the pilots if they were pushed towards their full potential.

We're getting to a point where we can't make these things go much faster. We can only refine how we actually make them perform that way. i.e. better mpgs etc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a dinnner function next thursday. I'll send you a blank check. Tell her to wear something classy but sporty:cool:

and I'm reaaaaallllyyyyyy just kidding so please don't get mad lol
I wasnt kidding, 100$ an hour rate

:rofl

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imagesCA69ZPUJ.jpg

What ya think??? Ill do 95$ if you guarantee 4 hours

·
Registered
293 Posts
LOL that shits funny... I know in Ohio the 2.6 class is very competitive you will need more then 800hp to run with most trucks here... Most guys built there trucks to hangs with Gainers truck a few years ago and they just keep going so I would imagine close to 1000hp by now...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder how much I could squeeze out of a work stock??? lmao

Most of the 2.6 trucks I see around here are likely less than 800 but im sure its way different everywhere you go.

But I have a theory, You only become a loser when you put yourself in a losing position. And I WILL do whatever it takes to stay with the pack, cant win them all but I will not be embarrassed if something happens and im doing poorly I will hit the wall or run up into the crowd or something haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts