Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the site. I have checked some of the posts but can not find the answer to my problem.
I acquired a 2006 Silverado HD Diesel. I has sat about a year not running. It ran really well when parked but has not run since.
I am worried about trying to fire it up after all this time with out priming the oil.
I know how to prime a small block and big block with a distributor but not a diesel.
Can any one help??
Thank You

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about it. Do the usual make sure fluids are full & have good batteries, prime the fuel filter & light that baby up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the solution.
At the left front of the engine on the oil passage in the block there is a 14mm plug. I got a 14mm straight fitting at Parker. Drained the oil and changed the filter.
Got a small fluid pump at NAPA and fitted a hose between the pump and the fitting. Put another hose between a gallon of oil and the pump.
Turned on the key and the pump.
Took pumping three quarts of oil before the oil pressure gauge showed any movement. after finishing the gallon I started another gallon and got the pressure gauge in the dash to 40 lbs. Finished putting in the eight quarts, replaced the 14mm plug. Pumped up the fuel pump at the filter. Fired up the starter. It cranked for about 10 seconds and took off. Got 65 lbs of oil pressure.
Truck had been sitting for over two years. Runs great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts