Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the oil centrifuge kits out there but they are all just WAY over priced!!! So I did some digging and found a place to buy just the centrifuge for $129 delivered. Then went to the parts store for 3/8" oil line and fittings that totaled $27.

Making the kit was simple. I cut the stock filler tube off at the bracket and welded on a piece of 3/16" plate steel. I used a good holesaw for the oil drain and a 3/8" drill bit for the bolt holes that hold the centrifuge down. Then I put some quick flat black paint on it to prevent rust and took some pics along the way incase any one else wanted to do a bypass centrifuge on a budget. They filter way better than the FS2500 or amsoil and dont need to replace filters. Just clean it out every oil change and your filtering down to 1/10th micron.:D:rockin

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics....And my helping hand that holds the tools for me. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
What does it do????:confused::confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it filters a portion of the oil down to 1/10th micron, removing alot of very small particles from the oil the regular oil filter misses. Most oil filters are only good to 20 microns, so all particles smaller than that just build up in the oil. This keeps the oil much cleaner, much longer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
it filters a portion of the oil down to 1/10th micron, removing alot of very small particles from the oil the regular oil filter misses. Most oil filters are only good to 20 microns, so all particles smaller than that just build up in the oil. This keeps the oil much cleaner, much longer.
Oh...learn something everyday!!! never heard of it!!!! Thanks for the info!!!:drink

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very ugly............... but it does the trick right.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
neat........I guess,never seen one but you say one tenth of a micron??damn that is tiny...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lots of guys are going to like this. Do a parts list and more picts and you will be some peoples hero!!! Isn't the PPE one $500

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
yep sure is ^^^^^

·
Vendor
10,985 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing. What filter are you using to take it down to 1/10 micron? At what percentage(nominal rating)?

Best filter I know of for the bypass is from AMSOIL which filters down to 2 microns? I know there is another bypass manufacturer out there but I can't remember their name right off.

BTW, the AMSOIL BMK27 is much cheaper than $500 dollars but can't post prices in open forum.

Take care,

·
Registered
51 Posts
thinking out side the box!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Great idea and cost savings......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could you re-iterate a bit on the chop cut reweld?

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Great Idea

I have been looking at the oil centrifuge kits out there but they are all just WAY over priced!!! So I did some digging and found a place to buy just the centrifuge for $129 delivered. Then went to the parts store for 3/8" oil line and fittings that totaled $27.

Making the kit was simple. I cut the stock filler tube off at the bracket and welded on a piece of 3/16" plate steel. I used a good holesaw for the oil drain and a 3/8" drill bit for the bolt holes that hold the centrifuge down. Then I put some quick flat black paint on it to prevent rust and took some pics along the way incase any one else wanted to do a bypass centrifuge on a budget. They filter way better than the FS2500 or amsoil and dont need to replace filters. Just clean it out every oil change and your filtering down to 1/10th micron.:D:rockin
Are you interested in making a few extra and selling them? If you are send me a PM and maybe we can workout a deal.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you interested in making a few extra and selling them? If you are send me a PM and maybe we can workout a deal.....
Sorry I hadnt replied back till now, march 16th I tore my lower anular and herniated my lower disks in my back, so I've been laid up.

But on the bright side I'll be sitting around the house for the next month and have plenty of time to tinker. To make you a kit like I have though I need a stock oil filler tube to build the centrifuge mount. If you were local I'd just give you all the part numbers to order and meet up with you to build it. It doesnt take long to make and is very simple. I do this stuff for fun too, not income. So I dont charge anything except a thanks or a Miller Lite. :drink

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can vouch for this type of setup with first hand experience. In the Navy, our ships engines don't even use traditional filters because of inefficiencies and sub standard filtering ability. Now keep in mind, this is on engines and reduction gears shouldering as much as 100,000 shaft horsepower. We don't change oil unless there is something unusual in the oil analysis (done right there on the ship). The average engine and reduction gear setup will push a ship 100's of thousands of miles without oil change. Those changes typically never come any sooner than overhaul period (5 years plus).

Okay, that being said, it has to be designed properly. I'm not qualified to say this setup works or doesn't but I guarantee you the principle is sound. One other thing, I don't discredit the AMSOIL Bypass. Another sound principle that has it use. Sure you can't go wrong either way.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts