Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Bully Dog GT tuner vs EFI

28K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  cwing 
#1 ·
First let me say I'm new to the forum and have learned a TON by reading other post. I'm the new owner of a 07 classic 2500HD LBZ all stock with 137,600 miles on her. It was a farm truck and once I got it I had the brakes checked and they are pretty new, did a hydrobooster flush myself, and brake fluid flush. I trades a decked out 09 silverado K1500 LTZ with all sorts of extras that I loved but I've always wanted a K2500 diesel. I LOVE that power. So I bought a bully dog GT tuner and I can't see any difference with anything. My next plan is to install a turbo back AFE mach force exhaust. I'm not planing on towing a lot just a daily driver. I really really want any advise on what it the best route to get the most mileage. Thanks in advance for your input.
Thanks!:help

#2 ·
your truck already has EFI, as well as every other vehicles since the late 80s
:rof

the question of bullydog vs EFI Live, is not really a question. It is, in fact, almost like a mirage that has been stamped into your brain by reading diesel power/world and reading those comic strip type ads bullydog runs, thus tricking you into thinking that these two even compare.

EFI Live will do you good, lots of options out now for what you want to do and how much you want to mess with it.

Welcome to DF

#5 ·
Don't hold back... Haha...

Welcome to DF.

#3 ·
EFI LIVE is the way to go

Sent from my DROIDX

#4 ·
Efi live is 10162728262 times better than bully dog

#6 ·
For sure EFI live is going to better than a canned tune, but the bullydog GT isnt a bad unit for the money. Gauges, on the fly tuning and works on multiple vehicles for under 600$ isnt that bad of a deal
I have several happy customers that the GT works great for them. Now if you are wanting custom stuff or higher HP tunes then a proper EFI live tune is the way to go

#7 ·
^you can make your own mechanical gauge setup with a pre tuned ecm w/ 2 tunes for right around the same price.. which would be far superior setup. I don't understand how people always bring up the price issue with EFI live these days.. (it used to be, back in the day, before all the options dropped that we have now) It just doesn't makes sense to run a canned tuner in todays day and age. Just my 0.02 i guess

#8 ·
Why do people bring up a DSP2 option, just doesn't seem justifiable to me?

:poke[1]::poke[1]:

Canned tuners are right for some people, but I agree. Most people should get EFI Live custom tunes from a GOOD tuner. With the right option, it's cheaper then most canned tuners, better performance/reliability/mileage, and it's as easy or easier to install IMO.

#9 ·
Not sure if you were talking about me but i didnt say anything about GT vs EFI live cost. I was just saying for the money its not that horrible of a setup.

We push EFI live over anything for the dmax but sometimes there are customers that are set in what they want and as long as they are happy then thats all I worry about

Most people sell tunes for 399-499 on efi live and 2 gauges your generally gonna be over the cost of say the GT or comparable unit. I myself like doing the efi tunes with a BD watchdog or edge CTS monitor. I like having 1 unit that can read multiple options and check/clear dtc's

#15 ·
bullydog is old news man efi live only just do ur self a favor and get a good tuner

#16 ·
First, welcome to the forum. Second, were you being serious about seeing no difference whatsoever with the BullyDog? Not a fan, but you should have seen some gains even if they were minimal. If that is the case, you need to take that sucker back and get a refund. May have had a faulty unit.

#17 ·
Bullydog is a horrible piece of shit, there is a lot better canned tuners out there if you don't want to go with EFI Live.

Bullydog was TERRIBLE on my transmission, it would limp it on the 2nd setting which if I remember was supposed to be 80hp, yet my edge box I could take it all the way to 5 (150) hp before a limp.

#18 ·
I have had the truck for a week now and drove it 3-4 days w/o tuner and then installed tuner and I couldn't feel any difference. I haven't put my foot into it but I'm not really into that. Just wanted to maximize economy. I might have made a mistake by getting this tuner. Also though that maybe if I rip out the stock exhaust and open it up with a turbo back AFE Mach Force that might help what do you think?

#19 ·
You won't really notice a big difference till you put your foot into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.