Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolled off the lot with my new 2019 Dmax with the OEM wheels and tires... Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 265 60 R20 and immediately had a vibration on the highway... Dealer asked that I put 500 miles on them, in case any flat spots from sitting on the lot...

After 500 miles they checked and tires would not balance well.... They ordered new..

Replaced all 4 tires and 3 of the 4 are also bad... won't balance,...

Waiting to see what happens next... I told them no more SR-A's, no faith in them... Not alot of options in the goodyears for 20" wheels. Told them to give me some duratracs (i love those tires)

Waiting... we'll see...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Rolled off the lot with my new 2019 Dmax with the OEM wheels and tires... Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 265 60 R20 and immediately had a vibration on the highway... Dealer asked that I put 500 miles on them, in case any flat spots from sitting on the lot...

After 500 miles they checked and tires would not balance well.... They ordered new..

Replaced all 4 tires and 3 of the 4 are also bad... won't balance,...

Waiting to see what happens next... I told them no more SR-A's, no faith in them... Not alot of options in the goodyears for 20" wheels. Told them to give me some duratracs (i love those tires)

Waiting... we'll see...

ive had bad luck with goodyear tires in the past as well, Id run pretty much anything else given the choice. The last set i owned i wore down the rear tires to the wire in 7000 miles, unloaded, no burnouts, just highway and city driving on paved roads. The fronts were not significantly better, summer driving, little to no 4x4 usage. Freshly aligned, new suspension and steering parts. just junk rubber.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m waiting for mine to wear out, terrible in the snow and not that great in the rain. Next summer, new wheels and tires, not SRAs
If you want something more aggressive I recommend the Cooper ST Maxx

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sad but true - so many what WERE legit tire mfgs have sold the use of their name, to Chinese mfg. companies. Got tired of tires coming apart - just had installed Cooper Discoverer HT3's (235/80/17)… MADE IN USA ! (yeah..yeah..i know...that is the size my truck was designed for...the size it came with as a new truck, and it is a "street" as in ordinary MS - not aggressive tread....so that identifies me as a geek.....!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I may geek out as well, I’m looking at Nokian One HT’s when my time comes next spring in the OE size. Not many reviews yet but Nokian has a good reputation. Will be mounting on new blacked out wheels though, my chrome Denali wheels are corroding/chipping around the valve stems. I’ll have a look at the Coopers as well.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
My 2019 3500HD high country crew cab single rear wheel standard box came with 265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. Still brand new on stock rims sitting in my basement with under 500 miles on them. Factory tires are purchased by the train load at the lowest price, yet meet the OEM specification (barely). They are the first thing I immediately remove when I purchase my new trucks. We have the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on my wife’s 2017 full-length Ford Expedition EL. They are actually quite noisy at lower speeds due to the high amount of siping. But they have the best ice traction of any tire I have owned thanks to that high amount of siping. Put a stock size set of these tires on my 3500HD before the lift kit and only got 20,000 miles before I was at less than 25% of tread depth. Was told by a reputable tire shop that these tires have too much siping and will wear at an accelerated rate from prolonged heavy towing. No argument from me Goodyear Duratrac tires are extremely robust. But I still would not own a set because they have a notched shoulder that requires more frequent tire rotations and reduced cornering speeds to avoid wearing off the outside treads. Notched shoulder tires are great for those that deal with a lot of mud and and snow on a regular basis. But let’s face it, most of us spend the majority of our time on wet or dry asphalt or concrete roadways. My recommendation is purchase a high quality closed shoulder tire with good rubber compound for both traction and tread life. Highway tire or all terrain tire depends on where you spend your time driving. Just my two cents on tire selection.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've ran a lot of Coopers but after some less than stellar performance recently, I've started to shy away from them. Bridgestones now on my HD's. And yes, the closed shoulder is the way to go if you spend all your time on the road. The front end of our trucks is good at ruining any other tire design, or at least causing frequent rotations which is a real bummer on a dually.

I know many who swear by nothing but Michelins too but I've compared notes with buddies and they're not getting the miles that I am and the "Stones" are cheaper :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sad but true - so many what WERE legit tire mfgs have sold the use of their name, to Chinese mfg. companies. Got tired of tires coming apart - just had installed Cooper Discoverer HT3's (235/80/17)… MADE IN USA ! (yeah..yeah..i know...that is the size my truck was designed for...the size it came with as a new truck, and it is a "street" as in ordinary MS - not aggressive tread....so that identifies me as a geek.....!)

My Goodyear Dura tracs suck too. Bitch to balance and still minor vibrations.... Stuck w them for now... I've had them in the past 5-6yrs ago and no issue.... I will be going back to the Cooper STmax. Great tire... I've run them multiple times w no issues...

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
My 2019 3500HD high country crew cab single rear wheel standard box came with 265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. Still brand new on stock rims sitting in my basement with under 500 miles on them. Factory tires are purchased by the train load at the lowest price, yet meet the OEM specification (barely). They are the first thing I immediately remove when I purchase my new trucks. We have the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on my wife’s 2017 full-length Ford Expedition EL. They are actually quite noisy at lower speeds due to the high amount of siping. But they have the best ice traction of any tire I have owned thanks to that high amount of siping. Put a stock size set of these tires on my 3500HD before the lift kit and only got 20,000 miles before I was at less than 25% of tread depth. Was told by a reputable tire shop that these tires have too much siping and will wear at an accelerated rate from prolonged heavy towing. No argument from me Goodyear Duratrac tires are extremely robust. But I still would not own a set because they have a notched shoulder that requires more frequent tire rotations and reduced cornering speeds to avoid wearing off the outside treads. Notched shoulder tires are great for those that deal with a lot of mud and and snow on a regular basis. But let’s face it, most of us spend the majority of our time on wet or dry asphalt or concrete roadways. My recommendation is purchase a high quality closed shoulder tire with good rubber compound for both traction and tread life. Highway tire or all terrain tire depends on where you spend your time driving. Just my two cents on tire selection.
I had 76k on my original Michelin LTX's that were on the vehicle from New. May have got another 5k mi out of them, but did not want to chance it. Replaced them before we left Ohio for the winter. Glad because ran into snow in Tuscon.
I do drop the pressure when not towing to 60 psi front and 55 psi rear. 80 psi while towing all around.
31k mi. on the current set and tread is down to 9/32 from 12/32 (new). Looks as if this set will last like the 1st set did.
Michelin does offer a LT265/60 R20 They are pricey though, about $250 ea.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I had 76k on my original Michelin LTX's that were on the vehicle from New. May have got another 5k mi out of them, but did not want to chance it. Replaced them before we left Ohio for the winter. Glad because ran into snow in Tuscon.
I do drop the pressure when not towing to 60 psi front and 55 psi rear. 80 psi while towing all around.
31k mi. on the current set and tread is down to 9/32 from 12/32 (new). Looks as if this set will last like the 1st set did.
Michelin does offer a LT265/60 R20 They are pricey though, about $250 ea.
Which Michelin LTX tires are you referring to?

They make two different LTX’s.

1. LTX A/T2

2. Defender LTX M/S

As I specifically stated in my posting, mine were the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. There is a big difference between the designs of those two tires.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn't even rotate my last set until 100k miles and they still measured over half tread. The only reason I did anything at that time was because the front end had finally worn the steer tires to the point of shaking the steering wheel a bit. I put on 2 new steers and put the old steers on the rear. In the center of the tread, the steers had only worn off about 4/32 but the edges were getting a bit chewed up. $200 each, delivered, but I did put them on myself.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Which Michelin LTX tires are you referring to?

They make two different LTX’s.

1. LTX A/T2

2. Defender LTX M/S

As I specifically stated in my posting, mine were the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. There is a big difference between the designs of those two tires.
Sorry for the confusion. I am on my 2nd set of LTX MS2 They are not the Defenders though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I didn't even rotate my last set until 100k miles and they still measured over half tread. The only reason I did anything at that time was because the front end had finally worn the steer tires to the point of shaking the steering wheel a bit. I put on 2 new steers and put the old steers on the rear. In the center of the tread, the steers had only worn off about 4/32 but the edges were getting a bit chewed up. $200 each, delivered, but I did put them on myself.
1. “I didn't even rotate my last set until 100k”
Michelin recommends tire rotations every 6k-8k miles. Tire Rotation - How to Rotate Tires | Michelin

2. “100k miles and they still measured over half tread“
Per USNews & World Report ... light truck tires last 40k to 65k miles.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds like you got the unicorn set of tires.
Don't think so. It's my 3rd set, they're the real deal. I know another RV hauler running them that has had similar experience.

The technology is out there. It's nothing for big truck tires to run hundreds of thousands of miles now if you're willing to ante up for the technology. But as long as us pickup truck guys are ok with less than 100k miles per set, that's what we'll get. Most tire makers don't want to make a 100k or 200k mile tire because that puts us out of the market for new tires for too long. So they just keep giving us just enough to get us to buy it. If 150k mile pickup tires became the norm tomorrow, every major manufacturer out there could be in that market within weeks.

I keep trying to turn guys onto the Bridgestone tire so they'll gain popularity. They're currently nowhere near as popular as the Michelin LTX. I've had the LTX, it's fine, but it's nowhere near the tire that a Bridgestone R500HD is.

"Rock" on!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Bridgestone R500HD
That’s good to know these tires last that long.

Problem is they only make them in a 16 & 17 inch size and my truck has 18’s.

These are also a commercial highway tire with a pavement only tread design that would require me to put chains on to get to the mine in the winter.

But for those only towing on the highway ... this is a great option.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That’s good to know these tires last that long.

Problem is they only make them in a 16 & 17 inch size and my truck has 18’s.

These are also a commercial highway tire with a pavement only tread design that would require me to put chains on to get to the mine in the winter.

But for those only towing on the highway ... this is a great option.
Yeah it's just a highway tire, not for everyone. But for those pavement pounders, they're a great option. Didn't know about the sizes but it doesn't surprise since they are a commercial tire.

Just checked the facts yesterday. The rears have 134k on them with 5/32-6/32 left. They should get another 40k before they hit 2/32. I may not run them quite that long but that's just the legal limit per DOT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts