21 - 40 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
if your near buffalo ny you can have mine for a project truck

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
looks awesome! ive been toying with different designs for a while now but that looks damn good!

and Erik, wtf wheres my new rear??? :rof

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
That thing is beautiful, wish it was for a GMC though!!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
if your near buffalo ny you can have mine for a project truck
I will be located in the Fox Valley area of Wisconsin this summer. I am sure I will be able to find somebody's truck to borrow for a couple of weekends at a time.

That thing is beautiful, wish it was for a GMC though!!!
You mean like this one could be:

Or maybe you don't want to advertise at all but looking for a different lighting option:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
i like that last one

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
yeah, love the last one.

So whats your plan? You gonna build and sell bumpers or how about the plans? Or ready cut kits??

Or are you just showing us your awesome bumper so we can wish we had one!!:neener

i would be quite seriously interested in all of the above... :rockin

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yeah, love the last one.

So whats your plan? You gonna build and sell bumpers or how about the plans? Or ready cut kits??

Or are you just showing us your awesome bumper so we can wish we had one!!:neener

i would be quite seriously interested in all of the above... :rockin
I am not sure the extent I want to get into it yet. There will be some way for you to get your hands on one wether it be a complete bumper, pcs to assemble yourself, or a dxf file you could give to anybody with a cns plasma table.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There is last.fm as well no time limit for music listening.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mounted!

I got the center section mounted this afternoon. A buddy and I worked on the mounting system for a few hours yesterday and a while this afternoon. We had just got done with getting the center section of the bumper and the mounts ready to mount to the truck as we were getting kicked out of the shop this afternoon. I was hoping to get further this weekend but this sort of stuff always seems to take twice as long to do as you think it will. Sorry for the crappy pics. My girlfriend has had my camerae for the last couple of weeks and I have been relying on my phone for pics.

I really would like to spend more time on this but the end of my semester is wrapping up and I can only allot a limited number of hours to this project. Next Friday I hope to finish the welding I am able to do. I ordered my fog lights last night. Hopefully they will get here by the end of the week so I can determine what I need to do to get them mounted.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I thought I would show you guys the school project I have been working on instead of welding on my bumper.

This is an approximate simulation of what would happen if you hit a deer doing 55 mph. The front of the bumper has very little stress. You can see all of the stress concentration is in the mounts of the bumper.

There's two sides to being able to tie personal projects into school projects. On the positive you know it is going to be interesting. On the negative it is usually 5 times more complicated than it has to be and you spend 10 time more time working on it than is expected.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
would that be able to fit a winch behind it ?
After the mounting yesterday it looked like there was enough room back there to fit a winch. I'm really not sure how much room is needed to fit a winch though. I am also not certain how much airflow it would decrease to the intercooler. I will have to try and figure out how much room is needed and look at it a little closer once the build is finished.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
good work man!! I've been wanting something like a javelina bumper, but then I saw how much it stuck out..the javelina bumper looks awesome from the front, but sticks out so far and looks goofy from the side..keep up the good work, if you end up making them, you might have to make some for GMCs;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
One question, if you went through the trouble of designing it using CAD why didn't you have it laser or plasma cut a broken on a cnc break? There'd be a lot less welding. The Laser cutting shop I used to be the welding foreman for used to make bumpers for the oilfield. Looked pretty similar except it was cut from one piece and broken into shape. Takes a good operator but it can be done.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
I am thinking I might try and sell them. I am trying to go for a bumper that isn't that much larger than the stock bumper (it doesn't stick out a foot in front of the truck) and flow well with the lines of the truck.

I could not agree more with that.. I'd probably have an aftermarket hoss of a bumper if they all didnt look so huge and shitty! I like how your trying to get something to flow with the lines of the truck. Wish I could work on my truck for school projects. Closest thing I could do to that is analyze GM's financial statements.. LOL.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I agree. your bumper looks damn good man. Id be interested as well. I looked through the whole sticky thread of bumper sites and didnt find one that was what i was looking for so i just painted mine

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Looks nice. What size plate are you using?

·
Registered
425 Posts
if you were to put LEDs behind the ones with the GMC or Bowtie in them and have GMC or Bowtie lit up that would look good!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One question, if you went through the trouble of designing it using CAD why didn't you have it laser or plasma cut a broken on a cnc break? There'd be a lot less welding. The Laser cutting shop I used to be the welding foreman for used to make bumpers for the oilfield. Looked pretty similar except it was cut from one piece and broken into shape. Takes a good operator but it can be done.
If I was making more than one of these I would not be doing it like this. I have a buddy who was able to get everything burned out for me and all I was charged was scrap price for the material I actually took home.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I could not agree more with that.. I'd probably have an aftermarket hoss of a bumper if they all didnt look so huge and shitty! I like how your trying to get something to flow with the lines of the truck. Wish I could work on my truck for school projects. Closest thing I could do to that is analyze GM's financial statements.. LOL.
I agree. your bumper looks damn good man. Id be interested as well. I looked through the whole sticky thread of bumper sites and didnt find one that was what i was looking for so i just painted mine
That is exactly why I am building my own. I liked how some bumpers flowed with the truck, but they stuck out really far. The ones that don't stick out don't flow with the truck.

Looks nice. What size plate are you using?
The bumper is 3/16" with some of the mounting pieces 1/4".

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really have put a lot of thought and work into this and I am glad to see it is coming together well.

21 - 40 of 304 Posts