Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
well...get this moving! dont sleep get this done! we want to see it finished so we can place our orders.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I wish I could put off sleep to get this done. If I were home it would have been done a couple weeks ago. The shop and welder I have access to is on campus and are only open at certain hours.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looks awesome! If you need a NBS I live over in Rapid City S.D. , I'm sure I could make the drive to Wisconsin lol

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
loosely related - why only 3/16"? My Iron Bull is also 3/16"... but I've been planning to make a front homemade bumper that's 1/2" or at least 3/8ths. Is it just overkill for the truck frame, too heavy for the torsion bars, all/other?

wally

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
3/16 is plenty thick. i wouldn't go over 1/4 MAX. anything over that is just pointless unless you plan on playing destruction derby with your truck, in which case your frame will probably just tweak before your bumper does. i'd rather have a dented bumper that's reweldable, than a twisted frame

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
loosely related - why only 3/16"? My Iron Bull is also 3/16"... but I've been planning to make a front homemade bumper that's 1/2" or at least 3/8ths. Is it just overkill for the truck frame, too heavy for the torsion bars, all/other?

wally
1/2" is beyond overkill man.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
that's what I was starting to think when I saw the commercial and homemade bumpers were using 3/16ths. I certainly don't want the frame to be the crumple-zone! I was just thinking that the 1/2" or 3/8ths could take a hit and keep rolling, lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very nice work, good luck on your studies. I would also be interested in plans for a NBS.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
1/2'' would be needed for a semi that was built for ramming hippos
Or fat girls tryin to jump in when you're leavin the bar.............

·
Registered
696 Posts
I really like your design. When you get it done, I'd be interested in buying plans for one to fit my '06 if you'd sell them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

wally
If you are going to hit something that will deform 3/16" you are going to have bigger problems than a bent bumper. Your frame will most likely be bent. You want to design a bumper/mounting system that deforms before the frame of the truck. Even a bumper made from 3/16" will bend a frame if it is solidly mounted to the frame without a design in the mounting system to fail.
That being said you could make it out of 1/4" or thicker but it will just be added weight and cost.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah 3/16ths is the most common used and all you really need for stated reasons like above....
You ever think of using Aluminum plate to cut down on weight???

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wonder how thick you would need to have the Aluminum to make it just as strong. I also wonder how much it would cost to get an aluminum bumper chromed.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Im pretty sure tank uses all aluminum on his black ops bumpers

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I looked at Black Ops just now and found something interesting...
3/8" Center winch mount plate
3/16" Outer Parts
3/8" Inside baskets along with a 3/8" bracket makes our bumper
3/4" plate steel bolted to your frame on most models
So it looks like they are using thicknesses like I was going to use (and thicker - WOW 3/4"!!) but are skinning it thinner for some give I guess?

Wally

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Im pretty sure tank uses all aluminum on his black ops bumpers
I looked at Black Ops just now and found something interesting...

So it looks like they are using thicknesses like I was going to use (and thicker - WOW 3/4"!!) but are skinning it thinner for some give I guess?

Wally
If black ops bumpers are aluminum, which I have no idea if they are, you can't compare that to thickness of a steel bumper.
Also it is not quite as simple as saying that the bumper shell will give before the the mounts or anything else just based on material thickness. There is a lot more behind it than that.
You also have to take design intent into consideration. When looking at the black ops bumpers it appears to me they are geared towards the hardcore off-roading type. In this case it may not be desirable to have a crush area designed into the bumper that might distort in a recovery type situation. I am not saying this is how the bumper is or is not designed. I am just saying everything has its own design intent. I personally would prefer to have a crush area designed into my bumper

41 - 60 of 304 Posts