Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys, ive been fighting this smoking thing for the last month or two, and its making me crazy. Ive got white/grey smoke at idle from the exhaust. My mechanic ran every test he can run with his scanner and everything comes back with a passing grade. It seems i may be loosing a very slight bit of coolant from the bottle. I noticed last night, im going to keep a close eye on it now, just dont drive it enough. So if im thinking right, is it possible that coolant could be getting burnt through exhaust? I dont know but the smoke smells normal to me and im not having any other issues and everything checked out, so what do you think?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Do a compression test.....sounds like a headgasket to me.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
give your upper radiator hose a squeeze in the morning after the truck has cooled down over night. if its hard (pressurized) then you have a HG issue

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Check the lower coolant hose-- does it show stains from coolant running down. If so, the water pump could be leaking.

Of course, a leak at the pump will not cause smoke!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radiator hose is good. Check this, we hooked her up again and raised the fuel preside from 40 to sixty the smoke stopped. Huh? Now what?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts