Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So theres a guy l been talkin to that has an 08 LMM and has blown 2 motors in it. One on PPE 225 and this time on 40hp setting. He tells me that he took it to the dealer they hooked it up to their computer, he found out #2 shit the bed once again and now it is parked.

What is a popped motor worth without turbo? is it worth buying to build?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Depends whats wrong with it. Does it just have a cracked piston or does it have rod damage, valve damage, block damage, or a combination of all of those? Find out more details befor throwing money at it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
blown 2 motors?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just bought an 01 lb7 cclb with a bad motor (no oil pressure) for 2100$ Its loaded with leather, 4x4. Guess its going to be a dedicated puller.

I was looking for just a motor that was bad when I found it. I was going to give a grand for a blown lb7 (as long as the block and heads seemed ok).

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I know a buddy picked up a full LBZ with a toast piston and head...but received every piece of the motor for sub 1k....

So the deals are out there, just depends on what he willing to do and how bad he wants the lawn ornaments gone.

On another note, I find it very strange this is his 3rd motor on a PPE tuner....

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I just bought an 01 lb7 cclb with a bad motor (no oil pressure) for 2100$ Its loaded with leather, 4x4. Guess its going to be a dedicated puller.

I was looking for just a motor that was bad when I found it. I was going to give a grand for a blown lb7 (as long as the block and heads seemed ok).
wtf man....I do need a block ya know...

·
Registered
510 Posts
wtf man....I do need a block ya know...
Haha I couldnt turn this shit down!! I cant wait to get the sawzall out on this damn thing. Im not even going to license it, Its getting a full build even if I have to sell my soul to the devil!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would want as much info as possible, how much is he asking for it?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I woould "baffle him with bullshit" as far as what its gonna cost to fix....so he drops the price.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I woould "baffle him with bullshit" as far as what its gonna cost to fix....so he drops the price.
YA.... I think I just found him a replacement motor for 6000....He's loving me right now! I told him some shit about cyl walls/head and shit could be nay good and motor might not be worth anything. But realistically If i were to buy it for 2000 lets say.... if walls are scored whats it gonna cost to machine for a set of oversize pistons? and head pooched well guess I lose a bit on my deposit for new heads.... but in the long run if I factor selling my good motor in to the equation I would come out ahead right?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Really all depends on the machine shop, some charge a flat rate, while the one by me charges by the hour.

Coming out ahead will depend on what replacement parts you use and how bad the motor is, if its salvageable.

I would work out a deal to let you remove the head and peek inside before committing.

2k is kinda high for a motor. Granted if its in decent shape, you could part it out and come out to about there or more.

But I would try and pull the head before proceeding. Won't take but a couple hours if that with it not being in the truck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Really all depends on the machine shop, some charge a flat rate, while the one by me charges by the hour.

Coming out ahead will depend on what replacement parts you use and how bad the motor is, if its salvageable.

I would work out a deal to let you remove the head and peek inside before committing.

2k is kinda high for a motor. Granted if its in decent shape, you could part it out and come out to about there or more.

But I would try and pull the head before proceeding. Won't take but a couple hours if that with it not being in the truck.
John, your right, I think he should pull the head and see what it looks like in there.

If not its a shot in the dark, could be worth nothing more than current scrap price. or could be a bent pushrod and nothing more lol

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts

I gotta find a deal like this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts