Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm looking into purchasing my first duramax. I've read around the forums and did some research on the internet on LLY and LB7 engines. I'm definitely leaning towards getting the LLY engine. What I'm looking to get are information on some of the common gripes that are associated with the LLY engine. I'm also looking to get some insights on what to look for when purchasing a 2500hd as in a tip off to a rip off. Thanks in advance. :rockin

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Welcome to the DF. LLY is a good truck, it has a few quirks, like most genertions do. Get the AFE turbo mouthpiece or do the LBZ mp mod. Install some good gauges, esp EGT. LLY injector harness can be an issue but there are couple of easy fixes, search for "icepick" fix, GM has a repair kit for #2 & #7 injector connector repair. Do a vin # check or Carfax, but keep in mind, not all problems will be reported, only those performed by a legit repair shop, repairs done by previous owner in his garage won't be listed. If you are thinking about a tuner, look into EFI Live.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome bud. Couldn't have said it any better than ally cat..

also beware of purchasing a truck that has had a tuner installed previously and/or a 5th wheel hitch. Just my thoughts, but usually these trucks were beat/abused more than those that the owner just drove. Just my 0.02. However there is nothing wrong with most trucks i just mentioned. just a personal thing

·
Registered
726 Posts
Look at the firewall insulator if its tore up some one's been it and find out why. But ALLY CAT covered it very well for you. Bottom line at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the lly if its maintained well just like anything else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have a friend with a way to read codes thats a great way to know what your getting. I would not buy another truck without checking codes if at all possible. I really like both trucks. My dads LB7 sounds like a nasty big block but my LLY runs better and is easier to work on so imo its a toss up between the two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info gents.

I know the 03-04 powerstrokes had major issues with headstuds and the EGR, and the LB7 engines had problems with it's injectors; are there any major problems with LLY engines I should worry about?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I can make 60++lbs of boost at the drop of a hat on stock internals and fueling I would say your good no worry's.

Edit- I have ARP head studs and thicker head gaskets. A stock head gaskets and studs would have a hard time containing that kind of pressure. But before my twins I put my stock hardware threw hell and when I pulled the motor every thing looked great.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an LLY without knowing the difference in any of em. I'm very happy with it, I tow heavy cars with ease, I'm very impressed with it when I'm not towing. It had the injector harness issue while under warranty and was repaired by the local dealer. All in all it's a great truck. I have some very conservative mods in mind. I did buy it to work more than anything.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts