Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I’m looking at a 08 Silverado 2500. I really love the truck and it has tons of upgrades, with his calculations and paperwork around 17k. The concern is that is has 305k miles. The guy that did the build is probably on this forum, seems like a straight shooter and is an engineer that seems meticulous. This would be my first diesel driven to work occasionally but mainly a weekend driver and to pull a 10k pound camper. He is asking 27,900 but seems flexible. Any advice would be appreciated, I’m wanting to look at it in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
$27,900 for a 2008 LMM truck with 305,000 miles is a terrible deal. The cost to rebuild the injectors alone is going to be $5,000 and you have a truck with a old alternator, water pump, AC, power steering pump, wheel bearings, front end components, and transmission. I would stay away from any truck with more than 120,000 miles unless it is at low Kelly blue book and you set aside $10,000 for repairs.

Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) bases the "value" of a car or truck based on past sales in your particular part of the country. If over the last 12 months the average selling price was $20,000 that will be the KBB valuation. At this time the KBB value for a 2008 Duramax with 305,000 miles shows a trade-in range of $6,383 - $11,520. That is what a dealer would pay for the truck if it was a trade-in where the dealer needed to sell it quickly to an auction house.

If you want the most bang for your buck look for a 2006-2007.5 truck selling for $20,000 or less and set asided $5,000 for new injectors.

For the occasional towing of a 10,000 lb trailer I would buy a 1500 truck equipped with the tow package, V-8 gas engine, and 4.10 gears. A diesel truck is a nice to have and not a must have in your situation.

Reactions: BOWTIE67

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, like I said it would be my first diesel and didn’t know. Some of told me the mileage isn’t awful but price is high. Here is a list of the mods that have been done.

UPGRADED & RESTORED! 2008 Silverado LT HD2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 (2014 front end conversion)

Please take some time and read through the complete 14 page build log with pictures etc.

2 Owner. Clean Car Fax.

Truck was completely restored and upgraded meticulously inside and out (Finished July 2017).

All upgrades were done to keep the truck usable, ultra-reliable, and long lasting. It has minimal lift/leveling only with usable tires & wheels that can go off road if needed, etc. It is quick, pulls hard, gets good MPG, and you can still get in and out of it, get in the bed, tow without a ridiculous hitch etc.

I have only put 7,853 miles on the truck my entire ownership since April 2016. Only a few thousand since all the work was done.

The truck runs and shifts perfect! Everything works as it should, no compromises! Even the TPMS computer and ECM were re-programmed for tire size and pressures. MPH on the speedometer is dead on!

Clean title in hand.

No leaks. No stuff to fix. No oil usage between changes, etc.

No soot being blown back into the engine with the EGR, PCV, etc. Engine will last forever, gets better MPG, and makes much more power. Sounds great!

All of the factory shortcomings upgraded. This truck will last you forever as long you take care of it as needed.

Below is a condensed list of the upgrades and parts.

Here is also a spreadsheet with all of the parts used during the build including prices, part numbers, where purchased etc. I spent over $17,500 NOT including the labor that would have eclipsed this by far. This includes mileage and dates every part was installed or maintenance was done. Many parts are not listed on this add below because every single clip, screw, etc. that needed to be replaced, or was missing etc. was done and the add would get too big.

Here is a summary of the upgrades and things done:

Edge Products Insight CTS2 Monitor with dash pod

Exhaust gas temperature sensor installed for Edge CTS2

Edge sensor and input installed to display low pressure fuel readings (before lift pump)

CCD Backup Camera with lighting installed to display on Edge Insight

EFI Live with on the fly 5 position tune switching: (Optimized stock, Smoke, Tow Tune with Turbo braking, +100 HP, +175HP). You could turn this up more, but I kept it conservative to ensure long life. I almost always run Optimized Stock unless towing something. This truck can get 24 MPG if you drive it easy with no load and stay at or under the speed limit.

This sale will include the complete EFI live setup and diagnostic tool which does still have a paid for tune you can use for another vehicle.

S&B Cold Air Intake (Dry Disposable Filter)

Black Moto Metal MO970 20x10 -24 4.56" Backspacing Wheels

Free Passer CT404 LT35x12.50R20 Tires

TPMS sensors replaced

Full Chrome Locking Lug nut kit installed

Front Axles/CV joints replaced

Rebuilt Key Fobs

2014 Front end conversion (done properly with all internal structural parts, including air directing flaps etc.)

Fleece Allison Transmission Cooler Lines

Frame, suspension, etc. was acid etched and coated.

Painted frame, inside bed rails, & inside rocker panels with Encapsulator & Internal Frame Coating

Interior was completely removed and rebuilt/replaced. Any interior parts with wear were replaced with new OEM parts including pedal pads, HVAC controls, steering wheel, shift boot, Lower dash panel, HVAC and Radio Surround etc.

Replaced drivers side front door panel with new OEM.

Carpet and pad were replaced with new.

Seats were all disassembled, cushions cleaned, drivers side cushion replaced with new OEM

New folding seat console lid

All factory seats coverings replaced with new Katzkin Leather (fits just like OEM).

All of the ugly silver stuff that wears off in the interior was stripped and refinished in black

All speakers in doors replaced with Kicker DSC6504 6.5" 2-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers

Driven Diesel Stainless Steel Power Steering Lines

Steering Gear box replaced

Tuff Country EZ-Ride Suspension Lift Kit 4" (4” front and only 2” rear). Minimum needed for 35’s, 33 just look too small on CCLB unfortunately.

Bilstein B8 5100 Front Shocks for 4-6" Lift

Bilstein B8 5100 Rear Shocks for 4" Lift

Morimoto Silverado Type C XBLED fog light assemblies installed (not just bulbs, these are full assemblies)

Removed secondary catch from spare tire holder so it will always come down when you need it (common to get locked up)

Energy Suspension 9.5173R 1-3/8" (For 36mm) Sway Bar Bushing Set

Bilstein B8 5100 Steering Damper

Transgo SK Allison JR Shift Kit installed

Dirty Hooker Diesel RT-A-ES Shift Valve Springs

Mike L High Capacity Trim Springs

SunCoast Al-FLT-LOC-S Allison Shallow Pan Filter Lock

Replaced door seal surrounds

Fumoto F106N Oil drain valve with nipple M14 – 1.5 W/ LC-10 Clip

Dirty Hooker Diesel 3" Super High Flow Intake Kit

Dirty Hooker Diesel Super High Flow 1/2" Fuel Block Upgrade Kit

Dirty Hooker Diesel Standard PCV Reroute Kit

Dirty Hooker Diesel LMM Coolant Line Relocation Kit

All fluids/filters in the truck were replaced and have been maintained/replaced as needed since.

Only high quality synthetic fluids were used.

ICT Billet Resonator Plug Cover Cap kit installed

ICT Billet Mouth Piece Small PCV Plug Block Off Cover Cap

5” Flo Pro Stainless Steel Exhaust System, Downpipe Back, NO Muffler

Magnaflow Performance Turbo Down Pipe, Stainless, Coated, Wrapped, 3"

GM LBZ LMM Duramax Intake Runner Y-Bridge Gasket

RDP Passenger Side Up-Pipe w/ Gaskets For LB7 LLY LBZ LMM LML 6.6L Duramax

Replaced ACDelco GM Original Equipment Water in Fuel Indicator Sensor

Turbo Performance Turbo Sock (replaces stock metal cover for better heat retainment and easier to access)

Resonator & Pipe Insulator replaced

Differential Seals replaced

Battery Hold Down and bolts replaced

Door hinges replaced with Auveco Greasable GM Door Hinge Roller Kit

Replaced tie rod end

FGT Motorsport Fuel Filter Housing Aluminum Spacer kit and Billet Bleeder

Sylvania Long Life - Incandescent Bulb Amber for headlights

Front End Alignment was done after built

Power Mirror Switch replaced

New outside rear view mirrors installed (heated and with signal indicators)

Factory system was reprogrammed for TPMS to work properly with front and rear tires at 60 PSI with Load Rating E tires.

AirDog II-4G Fuel Air Separation System DF-165 GPH (DF-165-4G)

Ohio Diesel Parts - Diesel/Gas Fuel Tank Sump installed

Black Plastic License Plate Blank 6"x12" for rear

Aries Black Front & Rear 3D Floor Liners

Universals joints all replaced with AAM Universal Joints - 1485 Series

Has factory towing brake controls and a New TCBM Trailer Brake Control Module was installed

ACDelco GM Original Equipment Trailer Brake Continue Relay Assembly was replaced

Black Headlights Installed

GlowShift 2001-2014 Chevy GM 6.6L Duramax Bleeder Screw Fuel Pressure Gauge Sensor Adapter

Weigh Safe 180 Hitch 6-Inch Drop (2.5" Shaft), Trimax T5 Hitch Lock, & Trunk Monkey

Bushwacker Chevrolet Smooth Back Ultimate BedRail Caps - OE Matte Black

Tailgate replaced with a 2014 Silverado LT Tailgate with EZ Close and Lock

Access Vanish Tonneau Cover

Bull Ring 4001-XT tie down rings installed

Bull Ring 1001 XT Bed Side tie down wall anchors installed

Tailgate cap replaced

Spray In Bed Liner

Has a 5th wheel Hide Away hitch installed, but I never used it.

Power window switch replaced

Drivers side Airbag replaced by dealer as part of a GM recall

Batteries replaced with EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size H6

All tools needed to actually change a tire if needed are in the truck including:

Gorilla Automotive Lug Wrench Adapter (7/8" - 13/16" Thread Size

Gorilla Automotive Lug Wrench Adapter (7/8" - 3/4" Hex Size)

New blower motor was installed

Handle, Door Outside, Rear - LH. Was replaced

Has Superwinch Trailer Wiring Kit installed for up to 16.5K Winches. This lets you power your trailer winch from the back of the truck. Read Less

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
He is trying to justify the exorbitant price by listing all the mods, but some are mere maintenance items............which do not add to the resale value.

I wish him luck selling it but I for one would never pay that for an 08 with 305K

Two years ago I bought an 08 with 95K for $22,000

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is trying to justify the exorbitant price by listing all the mods, but some are mere maintenance items............which do not add to the resale value.

I wish him luck selling it but I for one would never pay that for an 08 with 305K

Two years ago I bought an 08 with 95K for $22,000
What would you think a good price would be? Thanks

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,397 Posts
X2! $27,900 for a 2008 LMM truck with 305,000 miles is a terrible deal.

Yes it has a ton of upgrades but with 305k the maintenance to keep that sucker running properly will a constant issue. I would offer him $18k-$20k.

I have a 2008 LMM with 65,000 miles and a ton of upgrades. If I decided to sell it I would ask between $35k-$30k and my truck is immaculate inside and out.

Reactions: Klk82381

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,397 Posts
The deals are out there, be patient in your search.

Reactions: Klk82381

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,397 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004-2010 models. I had an 08 LMM and it was great. I did not have any DPF issues on my 2008 LMM but I would still have the DPF checked out if you go with a LMM. I'm not too happy with my 2012 with the DPF/DEF but there are some who have no issues at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious as to where you live. Here in Florida 17k gets you a z71 with 160k miles on it. DO NOT BUY THAT TRUCK. I have to admit I feel I might have gotten a little scammed on my truck (30k for 130,000 z71 LTZ crew cab) but it was the only truck in the area that was that nice lol. I would keep looking, it took months for me to finally stumble across my truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live outside St. Louis Missouri

I'm curious as to where you live. Here in Florida 17k gets you a z71 with 160k miles on it. DO NOT BUY THAT TRUCK. I have to admit I feel I might have gotten a little scammed on my truck (30k for 130,000 z71 LTZ crew cab) but it was the only truck in the area that was that nice lol. I would keep looking, it took months for me to finally stumble across my truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do not buy.. too high price for 300k miles.. I bought 2008 CCLB LTZ trim Z71 5 years ago for $27k with 110k miles from dealership.. No issues for two years then sold for $25k at 125k then bought 2006 CCSB LT for $20k with 173k. Only issue was gearbox so I replaced it with Redhead heavy duty and loving it so far. Keep looking if you are not in rush to buy

Reactions: shotgunwillie69

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice truck, 305K is not that bad but the price is too high for the year and mileage. Take your time and you will find a decent deal.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
I just did a Cars.com search for 08-10 Silverado 2500 diesel trucks with less than 150,000 miles. There were 65 results nationwide, ranging in price from 17,495 up with most in the mid 20's.

You may have to go get it but you can save a boatload of money. Look for one that is as close to Bone Stock as possible.

Stay away from trucks in the northern US where they use salt on the roads. Get a Southern truck with NO RUST, or you may very well live to regret the purchase

Reactions: shotgunwillie69
1 - 16 of 16 Posts