Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you give me some advice regarding buying a GMC duramax K3500.
I'll be buying sometime in the next week or so . Looking at the automatic Alison transmission. thanks for any info !! Brad in Vancouver
:gearjamin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2001 K3500 and I love it. Bought it used, have had minor problems, but would definetly buy another one. Pulling my work trailer is awesome with the Duramax.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can any of you give me some advice regarding buying a GMC duramax K3500.
I'll be buying sometime in the next week or so . Looking at the automatic Alison transmission. thanks for any info !! Brad in Vancouver
:gearjamin
I think we'll need a bit more info in order to offer accurate advice.

Year, bed/cab config, DRW or SRW, intended use, new/used, etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new K3500

single rear wheel , long box , SLE , allison 6 spd auto , 3.73 rear, ext cab.
Thanks for the replys , I hope the additional info will help.
I'll be using the truck for a daily commuter ( empty ) , as well as pulling my Arctic Fox 5 th wheel trailer ( 8000 lbs ). I know its more truck than I need , but I rather have extra capacity for future trailers ect , than worrry about CGVWR. Im just selling my 95 GMC K2500 HD turbo diesel , and it worked quite well pulling my trailer. The new Diesels would pass me on hills though.
Thanks again for any info that any of you can offer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new Duramax

Are any of you adding a fuel additve ?
I was adding Styadine to my 95 GMC diesel .
With the new ULDF coming , is there a good fuel lubricant that is reconmended from GM ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't worry about fuel additives unless you want the "performance" benefit or added MPG (that would negate any savings with the cost of the additive).

The truck sounds up to the task - 8,000lbs will be NOTHING for your new truck.

Get the VIN# and get an oasis if it's used b4 buying it. Maybe others will chime in here for you that own one - I own a FORD.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
So what do you want to know? The Duramax is one hell of a truck. They can haul easy 15,000 pounds without a sweat. One of the only trucks you can haul, race and get groceries with without a problem. :rolleyes:

That combination should be excelent for you. If you plan on getting a fifth wheel your best bet is a long bed but still do able with a short bed.

In the owners manual of my truck it specifically says NOT to use fuel additive. I to use standadyne in my 6.5 though.

You want to get a new or used truck?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new truck

:gearjamin Im looking at a new truck . Most likely a long box K3500.
There are some 3/4 ton trucks (new) available , one with a short box and one with a long. The costs of these are basically the same as for the 3500 , so that is one reason why Im leaning towarks the one ton.
Dealers are really on me to make a decision. No-one has a truck like I want on there lot , but will bring one in for me ( deposit required ). Im just a little shy of buying a truck sight unseen , even though its brand new.
But it does look like I will be acting on a K3500 2007 classic with Duramax and Allison 6 spd auto.
thanks for all your input.
very interesting that GM doesnt recommend a fuel additive ! ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
p.s.

I do have a fifth-wheel trailer . Its a Artic Fox 23-5 . I believe its in the 8000 lb range . My last truck ( the GM 6.5 ) did quite well pulling this trailer through the mountains , it will be really interesting on the first trip to see how the new Duramax does with the same trailer.
:rof

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my 02 CC/DA/SB used in 03 and I love it. If you go with a shortbox on a 5th wheel they do make and adjustable or slider hitch for the bed of the truck. I personally like the short box. I had a 99 1 ton dually ext cab with a short box and I can't imagine just everyday driving with a long box, but hey that's just me. Good luck on you future new purchase . You will love the truck TRUST ME

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all K3500 sold !!

there out of 1 tons , yep , by being a little slow on the draw Ive managed to see all the 3500 in B.C. and Im told western Canada sold . ( classic style 2007) .
So now Im looking at the K2500 HD , 4x4 , sle , with a 6.6 box , Duramax ( of course ) with the Allison.
Going to make the jump today , or thats the plan anyway .
The 3/4 ton will still meet my needs ( see above ) , only 700 lbs less for payload , not sure how much I'll loose on the towing . I believe the 1 ton can pull up to 1800 lbs , and the 3/4 ton is around 1500 + .
Wish me luck..........
I should have a photo of the new rig on here by Feb12 if all goes well.
Javaman ............Vancouver B.C.
:drink

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a 3500 CC LB DRW as my daily driver. I commute into the city 5 days a week, make grocery runs, transport the rug-rat around town and haul our enlcosed Motocross trailer (see photo below) nearly every weekend.

As a daily driver, it certainly is big but you just need to be aware of what your driving and not get yourself in a bind. I actually park in a highrise parking garage downtown which in pretty darn tight.

As for it being practicle and efficient, I would say yes when comparing it to a 1500 gas-burner of any brand. For example, my wife drives a 2005 RAM 1500 with the 4.7 Magnum engine and she get 14-15 mpg avg. in the city and my GMC 3500 DRW gets 16-17 mpg avg. in the city of which both are hand calculated on each fill-up.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So for the next 5 years you pay around 900 a month? Ouch...

·
Registered
134 Posts
So for the next 5 years you pay around 900 a month? Ouch...
if hes payin that much he paid too much in first place. my 06 i know reg. cab but i only paid 30,000 for it. my 05 at the time was only 2,000 more than a reg. cab. but hey you get what you pay for...........right.:drink

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the okanagan and was down at my local dealer yesteday to get the order number for my new 2007.5 lmm:D and i thought there were a few 2007 classic on there lot 3500 long box duramax.If you haven't bought yet you may want to look around a little more you may save a few thousand and were pnly a few hours away.:drink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts