Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first duramax the two trucks I am looking at is a 2002 ccsb lb7 4x4 with 103000 miles, it is very well maintained looks to be in good condition. I know these trucks had injectors problems, but what other problems should I look for. Should I be concerned if it has not had injectors replaced. The other truck is a 06.5 ccsb 4x4 which I know is the best of the best I have heard for Duramaxs. I know nothing about the truck my buddy owns a car lot and he got in from another car dealership. it has 98k miles what problems should I be concerned with on this truck as well. I really like the looks of the LB7 and it is in very good condition. Any help and advice would be great thanks.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
2002 LB7 great truck, no EGR, CAT, EPA BS. Injectors = PIA! but they get great fuel mileage stock and lightly modded. I would recommend a good to and bottom inspection. Transfer case can have a problem with pump rub, but that can be solved with a Merchant Auto repair kit. Also a lift pump and/or CAT filter to get the cleanest fuel to the CPS (no matter which one you choose).
06.5 probably a LBZ, the most desirable Dmax, but gonna cost you more. Good fuel mileage but EGR and CAT so if you want to swap into a better exhaust, you're gonna need EFI live to turn the EGR off so you don't constantly have a CEL on. Transfer case has same pump rub issue and would also recommend a PCV re route. I have driven both and each is great in their own right, but I myself prefer the look of LB7 over the LBZ. I would swap an LBZ into my LB7 in a heartbeat (and may do it someday) just to keep the look. Good luck with you purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a going to look at the truck (lb7 truck) tomorrow. I am new to the diesel world what do I need to look for with the transfer case on the rubing issue, what should I watch for while driving it. Is there any concerns I should watch for on the transmission. He says the injectors have never been replaced what should I watch for with them. I don't know a lot about these trucks so any help I would really appreciate thanks

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If the injectors have never been replaced, make him take off $3k or walk away. They will need to be done soon I'd bet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Look for oil around the transfer case, make sure the transmission shifts smooth that it doesn't jam or give you whip lash when it shifts, on the lb7's injectors were a hit an miss where some last 20k miles an some go into beast mode an last over 250k. Mine lb7 has 143k on stock injectors, balance rates are perfect, make sure to run additive

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a mechanic for a living so I am mechanical inclined also have scan tools. Is there any way I can check the flow on them and balance. He has all the records from the original owner he said the lift pump controller and be replaced he said the injectors are number like the dealership might of had them out, could be the case

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts