Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I tried the search function, and the good ol google. I am looking to buy a used duramax and register it in CA. I know, CA sucks, newsom sucks.... My question is, how can I tell if an out of state truck is 50 state legal? Are all of them 50 state legal now? I called a dealer in AZ and was told that MOST trucks are 50 state legal now. But he was a salesman so I don't know how reliable that information is. Is there a code in the VIN that tells this information? Any help appreciated.

Mods please move this post if it is not in the right area.

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
245 Posts
As far as I know, any used truck that has all of the original smog equipment in place should be legal in California. Assuming it's a truck less than 20 years old (and maybe older?), the glove box should have an options list (RPO codes). One of the options (you'll have to look them up) will indicate if it was a California truck, a "federal" truck (49 states), or maybe a New England truck. From there you need to find what smog equipment it came with. I think some years are all the same regardless of what state they were delivered to. I think 2003 Duramax had an air pump and EGR for California, but federal trucks didn't. They probably all had catalytic converters.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Look for information on the California Air Resources Board website, or call them, with your question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts