Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my lift kit is in and now its time to buy some new tires.
Looking to get a 37 inch tire..ive got it narrowed down to these...

Mickey Thompson baja MTZ's -- $1324 shipped
Toyo open country MT's -- $1734
BFGoodrich KM2 -- $1672
Hankook Dynapro MT's -- $1700
Yokohama Geolander MT's -- $1526 -- (38x13.50)

which would you pick? I'm not worried on how well it performs off-road. This truck only sees the pavement. so i want something that's going to wear well and look good. which i think they all look good. and theirs no way in hell I'm getting another set of Mud Grapplers. WAY TOO LOUD.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Km2 I live them or Cooper stt

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
93 Posts
If money is not an issue I would go with the Toyo's. Ive heard almost nothin but good things about them and mainly how long they last compared to other tires

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
money is not really an issue but saving money is always a plus. if the baja MTZ's are going to wear the same as the toyos then i'd just get the MTZ's. but i understand every tire wears different on different trucks. guess im just going to pick one and go for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
money is not really an issue but saving money is always a plus. if the baja MTZ's are going to wear the same as the toyos then i'd just get the MTZ's. but i understand every tire wears different on different trucks. guess im just going to pick one and go for it.
From what i know (but im no expert just have read alot of forums) Mickey Thompson has a softer tread compound than others and toyos have a hard rubber compound. That being said, with the heavier truck, in theory, softer will not last longer. I have KM2's on my Tacoma and have over 30k miles prolly gonna squeeze 40k out of them but granted thats alot lighter truck than a lifted 2500...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Toyos will deffantly be a good tire to go with. They balance good and ride good. I install them on tacomas all the time and they ride great. The BFG's are a good tuff tire also. I'd pick between those two.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my bother had these Yokohama Geolander MT's on his z71 didnt last long had a virbration at 10 to 15 mph.

i would go with teh mickey tompsons if it was me

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea after reading some more reviews, the geolanders are out of the question. i already have km2s on my jeep, and the hankooks have mixed reviews..havent heard or read anything bad about the toyos or the mickey thompsons. still just trying to figure out if its gonna be worth the $400 for the toyos. i actually like the baja MTZ tread pattern better..more aggressive IMO. i just want which ever one will last longer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i actually like the baja MTZ tread pattern better..more aggressive IMO. i just want which ever one will last longer.
Yeah I agree with you, i like the pattern of the MTZ's better too. But the side lugs on the toyo's is what makes them look good IMO. But if it's longevity you're looking for, I believe TOYO would deliver and make it worth your extra 400 bones...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to call a buddy i know who knows a vendor and see if he can get me the toyos for any cheaper. If not then i'm just going to get the MTZs. That extra 400 could go towards my mount and balance, alignment, full tank a gas and lunch. :cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have the km2's (325/60-20) , basicly a 36X13, and I have 26,000 miles on them and they are close to half worn , (I drive like an asshole all the time) , so I will problably get 45 to 50,000 miles out of them.Not bad for a mud tread imo.
:drink:drink:drink

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Super swampers!! j/k way too loud!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the mickey thompsons on my 2008 and cant wait to get rid of em. Way too much road noise and 1 is going bad as we speak. been rotated and balanced as much as possible and nothing helps. have less than 10,000 on them. Gettin em off asap get $$$ for new ones. Hopefully mine arent what they all do but you can have em. Never again. Oh, they were bought with new wheels and everything has checked out . jus mu .02.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the first bad review I've read about the mtz's. Everyone else seems to love them...I'm ordering tires today when I get out of class. Still can't decide between the toyos and the mtz's. The price of the mtz's is what's keeping me interested and the tread design and weigh less than the toyos.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just put a new set of toyos on a couple months ago and the only bad thing about them is they pick up and throw some good sized rocks a lot

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
KM2! I had them before my A/T's and will be going back to them next weekend when I get a new set put back one. They ride nice, balanced good, and the wear life on them where great because of the hard compound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey dirtymaxx, Like i said, maybe just my set but I would not give you a nickle and 3 sacks of corn for all them. I bought the truck with them on it and just a few miles on them but now have close to 10,ooo on them and cant get no help so bye bye tires. All my driving is highway so I have not been bad to them. Once again jus my .02. probably just my luck and not all these tires are this way. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i ordered the MTZ's....but got en email today from the website saying they were out of stock and on back order..so my order was cancelled. looks like im going with the toyo MTs for $1600 shipped from 4wd.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts