Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally installed the Amsoil Bypass system (thanks mrmanners) At first there did not seem like there was a lot of room but there is plenty. Took longer to decide where to put it than do the job. I drilled up either side of the supporting member directly under the heel of the accelerator foot. Popped up the carpet and dropped the bolts thru with goop on them to seal them up. Nuts on up to the underbelly sealed again for stability. Put another set of "adjustment" nuts/washers on then the bypass body so that I could "clamp" the body between them and the nylock nuts. As the heads were on top I could adjust the adjustment nuts to raise or lower the body to ensure clearance at the bottom of the bolts for the filters. The hydraulic hose was less than a foot each side. 13 quarts filled her to the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
So it's a pretty straight forward install? I was thinking about getting one on my next oil change.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very simple indeed. It took a few hours but that included a drive to the store to get bolts etc. I took the standard filter off, set up the install except the hoses. I installed a new filter, ran the engine with the flush, full drain, hooked it all up and filled her up. All good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
looks good! Might need to get my hands on one of em soon!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great pics Mac! I just got one and was actually looking for a place to mount it. Now I know! How hard was it to get the carpet up? I havent dove into it yet but will this next weekend.

·
Registered
617 Posts
So how many extra miles are you supposed to get between oil changes now?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont do much milage so I'll be planning to change the oil every 12 months. I will be doing oil analysis to see if it will last longer but my whole perspective with the bypass was limit wear to a minimum to promote engine longevity. I have a bunch of toys installed that I do not want to re-install in a new rig!

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
I dont do much milage so I'll be planning to change the oil every 12 months. I will be doing oil analysis to see if it will last longer but my whole perspective with the bypass was limit wear to a minimum to promote engine longevity. I have a bunch of toys installed that I do not want to re-install in a new rig!
Mac, I think with analysis you are going to find the oil sufficient for continued use and you would be pouring good money and oil down the drain...

I am doing another analysis on mine today to see how things with mine are doing after 24k miles, no bypass yet. That is next.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great pics Mac! I just got one and was actually looking for a place to mount it. Now I know! How hard was it to get the carpet up? I havent dove into it yet but will this next weekend.
I removed the inside left side panel by the hood release (pull toward the rear of the vehicle) and the step panel (pull straight up) and rolled the carpet back enough that I could lift and reach under the bit by the accelerator. The entire install was super simple, Amsoil provide all the components required but I got extra mounting bolts to mount mine different. I found two places, where it ended up OR under the rear left passenger also. I chose the front option to limit the hydraulic hose. The caveat with really short hoses and having the unit mounted to the floor (rather than a rail) is I get a very small humming noise which I'm sure is the oil pump operation being stethoscoped thru the hydraulic hose and enhanced by the acoustics of the floor/cab. The noise is very minimal and can only hear it on idle and maybe to 10MPH. I figure if I learn the noise then I'll have heads up if the oil pump is beginning to fail :) I have more pics too if you want to see them

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I am not trying to rain on your parade but you all may want to consider fabing up some kind of simple aluminum rock shield when you install the AMSOIL Bypass setup. I have seen what happens when that long bypass filter gets hit with road debris.

The instant my friend heard his take the rock hit he killed the engine and the sump was already bone dry. Towed it home, cleaned up the mess, and temporarily put the stock filter back on. The hole in the filter was about the size of a dime. He went overkill and built a bypass filter shield from steel plate.

I have had an aluminum one sitting on my bench for 3 weeks that I need to finish and get installed. :eek: Nothing fancy but it should do the job.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not trying to rain on your parade but .
No rain there mate, great idea! I'm gonna get on to that right away.. I went the other route and had a spare regular filter and oil on board but by then the damage is already done eh!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, that was my other option, behind the brake controller. Yours is much prettier than mine :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great pics guys, y'all did a great job. I have had mine for almost 180,000 miles and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How many miles are on your oil currently? I ask because we get a lot of questions about how long folks can run AMSOIL.

Thanks,
I have 26,500 miles on it. I have ran as much as 28,750 miles. I have a oil analysis done on each oil change. It always comes back ok to run longer. The lowest TIN # was 4.7 IIRC, but is normally around 6. I am going to send in a sample next month.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts