Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intentionally got my truck without the cab lights because I don't really like GMC's 3-light-pod for the center lights and wanted to see about adding some aftermarket lights after the fact.

It is now after the fact.

I'm looking at Recons cab lights for the Ford or Dodge because they are five seperate lights. Yes, I know I will have to drill 5 holes in my roof as opposed to 3 but let's be real here, if i'm drilling holes in the roof anyways, who cares how many, right?

Question 1: Which style looks better; Ford or Dodge?
Question 2: Would I need to get the Ford/Dodge wiring harness to run them or should I get the GM harness and just split off two additional lines to the other lights?

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Ford Lights

Dodge Lights

GM Lights

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Why do so many people say 'Don't get the Recons'? I've installed dozens, at home and work, and NEVER, not a SINGLE TIME, had any problems... I've never had a comeback for leaks, lighting problems, or anything else... My recomendation would be Recon NBS (07.5-11/12) Smoked cab lights. Obviously, people will disagree with that, but that is what I would do

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My recons are junk... so are one of my buddies... he's went through three sets and now I look like the Knight Rider with only the middle staying lit up...imo go for the nbs ones from gm... I'm taking mine off filling the holes and repainting eventually

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
Why do so many people say 'Don't get the Recons'? I've installed dozens, at home and work, and NEVER, not a SINGLE TIME, had any problems... I've never had a comeback for leaks, lighting problems, or anything else... My recomendation would be Recon NBS (07.5-11/12) Smoked cab lights. Obviously, people will disagree with that, but that is what I would do
I personally like the look of the low profile of the nbs gm cab lights. I didnt know recon offered a nbs cab light though. I though all they had was the obs ones.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
I've had nothin but good luck with the Recons myself and they look great too. My buddy's LBZ has the cab lights you want. Let me dig up a pic......

Here:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The gm ones have just as many issues as the recons..IMO get what is cheaper. My brother had ford cab lights on his last dodge from recon. Never an issue.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
I guess I can understand that... Some people have no problems with the same product that others have nothing but problems with. Like I said, I have installed over three dozen sets of Recon NBS cab lights, two of those on my own and my wife's trucks. I have never had an issue, and neither has Skank. I'm not people haven't had problems, obviously some have. I think the Recon cab lights are great, but some have said I'm a little :cookoo[1]:

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
my vote would be GM. but if you are set on not getting GM ones. it would be dodge
but here is my gm ones:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have smoked recons on my dually and LOVE the look!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I threw the nbs oem gm ones on my fit and haven't looked back since, I love 'em!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a stupid question. Are the NBS style cab lights direct replacements for the OBS lights? I prefer the lower profile lights but am not sure what would be required for the swap.

·
Registered
252 Posts
here is a picture of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I really liked the smoked ford ones.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have a stupid question. Are the NBS style cab lights direct replacements for the OBS lights? I prefer the lower profile lights but am not sure what would be required for the swap.
No they don't line up. My rig didn't come factory with cab lights so I drilled my own holes and threw the ones I wanted up there.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
New body style (07.5 and up) and old body style rigs :thumb

1 - 20 of 34 Posts