Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to start buy saying I used the search button and read through several forums first before writing this and did not find the answer I was looking for, so please do not write on here saying use the search tool because that shit gets annoying when people ask a damn question. Now my question is what kind of mileage gains are people seeing when adding a CAI after driving with deletes first. I am averaging high 18-20mpg highway right now with a stock filter and deletes and really want to get it over 20 consistently, not just on flat roads with no wind. I am considering S&B and want to know if its noticeably different for mileage.
And my mini maxx is set on tow

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You might get a small gain from it. Some people report up to a 2 mpg increase, but I might have gotten 0.5 mpg increase with my intake, if that much. It might just depend on the truck...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of mileage are you getting and what part of the country do you drive in

·
Registered
172 Posts
I posted this in another thread earlier today, but figured it's worth a re-post. I had a S&B CAI on with the deletes:

When the truck was BONE STOCK (stock oil with no additive), I averaged 16.91 MPG. I drove around 80MPH with approximately 200lbs of cargo. This hand-calculated MPG average was from four tanks of diesel (best = 17.77, worst = 16.09).

With the tuner set to the 100HP (Street) tune, Opti-Lube in the tank (2x dose), DPF/Urea tank removed, and Amsoil in the engine/tranny I averaged 17.12 MPG! Driving conditions, speed and loads were very similar. This number was the hand-calculated average of three tanks of diesel (best = 17.52, worst = 16.46).

Needless to say, I'm severely disappointed in the MPG "gains"! The extra power is amazing, but the main reason I did the tuning was for increased MPGs. I was holding out on the 150HP tune until I had a lift pump, but I decided to go ahead and try it out to see if it's significantly different. I'll report back with findings in the next week.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Use the search bar.....:rofl

I am surprised you are getting that low with deletes, ours is stock and we pull down between 18 and 21 running empty. We are putting a CAI on ours just due to the fact the factory is a PIA to change and ours has to be changed out often due to the miles that's put on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the search bar.....:rofl

I am surprised you are getting that low with deletes, ours is stock and we pull down between 18 and 21 running empty. We are putting a CAI on ours just due to the fact the factory is a PIA to change and ours has to be changed out often due to the miles that's put on it.
Your not kidding its a PIA I hate the factory mess. I can get 20-21 if I go 65 mph w/o cruise and watch it but I feel i should get over 20 all the time with deletes. I drive 40k or so a year so it's important to me to get good mileage.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Your not kidding its a PIA I hate the factory mess. I can get 20-21 if I go 65 mph w/o cruise and watch it but I feel i should get over 20 all the time with deletes. I drive 40k or so a year so it's important to me to get good mileage.

We bought our truck new October 1st 2012 and it just rolled over 59,000 miles. I am fixing to order an s&b for it because they rank number one on every test and study I have been able to find. From everything I have learned you might be able to gain 1 to 2 mpgs with a CAI but that's about as good as you can do. Like I said earlier that stock is a PIA so we did the figures and if we only get 1 mpg better the intake will have paid for itself in 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I know this isn't everyone's preference but I run my mini maxx on the +150 tune and see much better mpg's that at either of the other tunes. I was just barely better than stock at the tow tune and I have the S&B as well. Try it for a tank and see if you notice an increase, specially on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input I was actually reading that post the other day there are some good points on there and that's what landed me on the S&B and I just couldn't find anybody saying what the intake itself gained for mileage by itself

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this isn't everyone's preference but I run my mini maxx on the +150 tune and see much better mpg's that at either of the other tunes. I was just barely better than stock at the tow tune and I have the S&B as well. Try it for a tank and see if you notice an increase, specially on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No lift pump and really don't want to be doing head gaskets and tranny work in a year or 2 because if the power is there I am going to use it and nothing good will come of it so I'm gonna stay in the safe territory

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i averaged 16 on the hwy stock. i averaged 19 with dp. exhaust. now i average 23 with intake and ic pipes. mines been on the hot tune and those numbers are off my average on a 900 mile drive each way. 3 trips

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Yes, he's right, best mileage will come from hot tune and light pedal. Intake will make basically no difference... maybe a buck or two a tank, if that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ordered the S&B CAI so i guess i will find out first hand what the gains are for me, and winter fuel should be done here this weekend too so hopefully even more gains :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
428 Posts
A little late here but I got .5 with my S&B. Got 2 more going from tow to street.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A little late here but I got .5 with my S&B. Got 2 more going from tow to street.
Hmmm...maybe I should bump my tune up to street and try it out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't want to risk running hot without a lift pump. :)

But, one day I am sure I will have some disposable income laying around and get a pump installed. :gearjamin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts