Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
What is the typical lifespan of the EGR?

My DEF tank was replaced within the mfr warranty. That was years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can’t exactly tell you that I thinks it’s a good guessing game, but my brother has a 17 an he’s had to replace his egr twice, and also the def system which was under warranty at the time, maybe he got a lemon! It’s hard to tell, but it’s been running great for a year now no problems, that’s all I can personally say. Someone more knowledgeable will come in I’m sure an have a few stories

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
389 Posts
A RANT ABOUT THE 'DELETE/TUNES" issue:
I was incredibly happy with my 2013 3500 "dualie'....until one rainy night coming "up the hill" from Kingman, Arizona on the I-40 to where I turn south for my ranch north of Prescott. (towing approx. 11,000 lbs., well within its capacity).

That's where I found out something interesting (downright murderous) about the DPF system. And I dont blame this entirely on GM....its those creeps who live in apartments and condos in the Wash, D.C. area that I have "special" feelings for......see...if you get behind on your DEF, you get a warning...truck won't immediately die (go into "limp" mode).

But...your computer is programmed, that if it dosnt like what the sensors say about your DPF, instant "limp" mode.

Follow me on this now....(I do not use the term "murderous" lightly) .going UP a grade..dark rainy night..."limp" mode meant before I could even pull over, I was down to a slow walk. Got lucky...the "train" of semis behind me were able to slow down in time. Barely.

I am not saying how I know..."but I have heard", that with a competent muffler and resonator in place of the DPF, a Duramax will be no noisier than "stock'. And not so much as a WHIFF of diesel smoke.

Average mileage went ("so I have heard") up over 3 mpg. Can you imagine...the benefit to the bunny-wabbets....of using that much less diesel? No wonder govt. employees hate "vicious criminals who "delete" their diesels".....think of the tax revenue they dont get, because so much less diesel fuel is needed.....

Yes, I sure as heck, if I were a prosecuting attorney, love to get the EPA computer guy who thought up the idea of "instant limp".....on a defense witness stand..." did you know that the truck is used on a public highway?"...."did you know that some public highways where trucks like this can go, have hills...up-grades that, if a vehicle looses power, can cause them to slow down suddenly...? ."did you know that some public highways have other vehicles on them?".... "did you know that the truck is equipped for towing", and the weight of something being towed can dramatically and suddenly decrease its speed if power is suddenly and unexpectedly dramatically reduced...?"........

Can these EPA monsters argue that they do not know they can get us killed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was incredibly happy with my 2013 3500 "dualie'....until one rainy night coming "up the hill" from Kingman, Arizona on the I-40 to where I turn south for my ranch north of Prescott. (towing approx. 11,000 lbs., well within its capacity).

That's where I found out something interesting (downright murderous) about the DPF system. And I dont blame this entirely on GM....its those creeps who live in apartments and condos in the Wash, D.C. area that I have "special" feelings for......see...if you get behind on your DEF, you get a warning...truck won't immediately die (go into "limp" mode).

But...your computer is programmed, that if it dosnt like what the sensors say about your DPF, instant "limp" mode.

Follow me on this now....(I do not use the term "murderous" lightly) .going UP a grade..dark rainy night..."limp" mode meant before I could even pull over, I was down to a slow walk. Got lucky...the "train" of semis behind me were able to slow down in time. Barely.

I am not saying how I know..."but I have heard", that with a competent muffler and resonator in place of the DPF, a Duramax will be no noisier than "stock'. And not so much as a WHIFF of diesel smoke.

Average mileage went ("so I have heard") up over 3 mpg. Can you imagine...the benefit to the bunny-wabbets....of using that much less diesel? No wonder govt. employees hate "vicious criminals who "delete" their diesels".....think of the tax revenue they dont get, because so much less diesel fuel is needed.....

Yes, I sure as heck, if I were a prosecuting attorney, love to get the EPA computer guy who thought up the idea of "instant limp".....on a defense witness stand..." did you know that the truck is used on a public highway?"...."did you know that some public highways where trucks like this can go, have hills...up-grades that, if a vehicle looses power, can cause them to slow down suddenly...? ."did you know that some public highways have other vehicles on them?".... "did you know that the truck is equipped for towing", and the weight of something being towed can dramatically and suddenly decrease its speed if power is suddenly and unexpectedly dramatically reduced...?"........

Your one of many that have had this happen! An thankfully the trucks behind you noticed you in time! I’m glad you or anyone else didn’t get hurt during that great limp mode which is a great idea to the people that don’t have a clue what it’s about! (Starts with an E)
Like I said we’d have someone with a story of how great this emissions system is they have out! It’s flawless an runs great an helps our vehicles out! Said no one ever but the great E!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am 100% in agreement there.

Trucks make black smoke. Black smoke scary.

Meanwhile you go 15 miles off shore and every container ship is doing the same crap.

How much legislation stops them? Zip. Zero. Notta. Yet they pollute far in excess what ever car truck and bus in the USA does.
15 miles off shore isn’t California air. It is international. Totally different. CARB has no jurisdiction.

·
Registered
2014 3500HD SRW 4x4
103 Posts
They will have to put nuke power plants in those ships. Can you imagine a hundred Tesla supercharger trying to pump up a battery pack half the size of the ship just to make it run 500 miles loaded? Last time I checked, the typical container route was slightly longer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They will have to put nuke power plants in those ships. Can you imagine a hundred Tesla supercharger trying to pump up a battery pack half the size of the ship just to make it run 500 miles loaded? Last time I checked, the typical container route was slightly longer.

We’re talking about diesels.

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
112 Posts
I wouldn’t say I’m die hard environmentalist personally but I do agree with you, (in the sense of buying a paper straw over plastic) but I’d like the world an resources to last forever! But clogging up a $30-$70 truck/motor is what kinda chaps me!
Why can’t we all be like this, agree an disagree on a few things but have common sense to what’s right!!?! The world would be a better place!
O for sure life would be so much better. Also if people do disagree, then who cares and move one with life. People have to much free time and worry to much about everyone else and in return they want what they have for free. That’s the joy of merica we can have or own thoughts or own options and do what we want kind of anyways. We are all different and there are way to damn many of us on this planet so no matter what people are always have their own options and that’s a good thing that is one thing that helps make us better as a human race. Why can’t we all just agree to disagree and grab a beer and enjoy our trucks 😁🛻. See I’m also even less of an environmentalist. Now I don’t intentionally do things to hurt that planet. But there are somethings in this world that just waste money are are
Dumb.
Granted we do have cleaner air then in the past but the epa is
Still trying to screw us. That stuff makes
Me
Want to go the other way lol

·
Registered
721 Posts

Good Lord---cannot remember how many times this story has been repeated...

·
Registered
389 Posts
. . . . . . . . . . .
I understand....what I referred to has reduced my need for diesel fuel by approx. 30%. If I were in some way involved with govt....I'd resent and wouldn't want to hear about things that reduce tax revenue....if I were in some way involved with GM and/or oil producers.....stories like the above would be seen as a direct attack on my income....no wonder this guy is unhappy with my post he is referring to....

• Haha
Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Registered
721 Posts
. . . . . . . . . . .
I understand....what I referred to has reduced my need for diesel fuel by approx. 30%. If I were in some way involved with govt....I'd resent and wouldn't want to hear about things that reduce tax revenue....if I were in some way involved with GM and/or oil producers.....stories like the above would be seen as a direct attack on my income....no wonder this guy is unhappy with my post he is referring to....
Good lord you have really lost your mind. I am not the only person to point this out btw.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good lord you have really lost your mind. I am not the only person to point this out btw.
MIND? Did I ever lie to you - I do not recall saying I ever had a mind to loose. Simple fact is what you know damn well - that there is wild disagreement as to the ecology benefits (if any) of all this power-wasting, fuel wasting "politically correct envionrnent" stuff. I am not the only one who not only questions as to whether it is good for the bunny wabbets....but also suggests it is potentially harmful, even dangerous. My personal belief is that anyone who dosn't understand how a "forced regeneration" is bad for a truck's systems....well...probably dosn't know which end of a screw-driver....etc...etc...

• Haha
Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Registered
721 Posts
MIND? Did I ever lie to you - I do not recall saying I ever had a mind to loose. Simple fact is what you know damn well - that there is wild disagreement as to the ecology benefits (if any) of all this power-wasting, fuel wasting "politically correct envionrnent" stuff. I am not the only one who not only questions as to whether it is good for the bunny wabbets....but also suggests it is potentially harmful, even dangerous. My personal belief is that anyone who dosn't understand how a "forced regeneration" is bad for a truck's systems....well...probably dosn't know which end of a screw-driver....etc...etc...
He is at it again! Posting the same thing over again. 😁

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
They will have to pry my cold dead body out of my LLY, it is my forever truck and it has pulled our 5th wheel over 45K miles in the past 13 years, never limped on me, never left me at the mercy of dealer "mechanics" etc. Yeah, I had to fix the couple of things GM engineers didn't understand when I first got it and it no longer smells like a new truck-got that "old man" and dog smell.... I do all my own maintenance and most repairs , but I paid cash for it 15 years ago and could easily sell it for more than I paid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
California, once a land of real men. Now……..well you get the picture. Go Lady Gaga!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
First time =I've= heard this. I'm in the market for another truck and am already questioning whether I should get one with DEF or find a decent LBZ and restore / rebuild it. Damn...

Frankly, this needs to be repeated a million times, and in front of congressional committees. May not help much, but it might start cracking the ice a bit.

Lyle

·
Registered
389 Posts
First time =I've= heard this. I'm in the market for another truck and am already questioning whether I should get one with DEF or find a decent LBZ and restore / rebuild it. Damn...Frankly, this needs to be repeated a million times, and in front of congressional committees. May not help much, but it might start cracking the ice a bit. Lyle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would not hesitate to buy another truck like mine - it is a superb vehicle - does everything expected of it, particularly pleased with how it handles really adverse conditions (long up-grades with heavy loads in extremes of desert heat).

Yes - there are problems with both the DEF and DPF systems, and as you can see...there are folks in here who do not like to hear these problems discussed. That is understandable; if I were connected to the petrol industry and/or General Motors I wouldn't want them discussed either. After all, the DPF & related systems significantly reduce fuel mileage.

THe simple fact is these devices can disable a truck with little or no warning. The simple fact is, so long as they are operational in your truck, you will get good service....but at a cost in significantly reduced fuel mileage. Let me add, at the risk of repeating myself....I am convinced the "forced regen" is not a good thing to do to ANY of the many systems of a truck.

Go ahead and buy a LML - just be prepared for the DPF needing service. It is a simple issue to resolve...all over the country are shops that re-condition DPF's for the "big boys". Unfortunately, "consumer grade" DPF's are not servicable - they have to be cut out of your vehicle, cut apart, cleaned, re-assembled and then re-installed back in the truck. I paid just under $800. for that service - truck was only tied up one business day.

How long will a DPF provide service before it must be re-cleaned? I have heard conflicting versions...anywhere from 30,000 miles to over a hundred thousand miles.

As for the DEF, I have found that system to be trouble free - yes...complex sensor/computer issues best left to a RESPONSIBLE GM dealer. ( I am lucky...here in Northern Arizona, Findly GMC is absolutely trustworthy).

As much as I loved the outstanding service my 2005 provided (like my present 2013...a 3500 "dualie" extended bed/cab) my present truck is that much better in so many ways.

Reminder - for excellent reasons, this forum should not be used to disclose or even comment on how some folks find "other solutions" for the DEF/DPF issues.......

Reactions: cfell

·
Super Moderator
1,124 Posts
Stepping in here for a moment, let's watch the personal comments...keep it clean...

As far as on topic, if you want to direct some energy somewhere, please see my post below...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts