Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
attempting to upgrade rear brakes and driver rear lower bolt wouldn't come out. so, gave good one to wife to go to parts store while i cut the stuck one off. she calls & says they are telling her it is a factory bolt. this is after i've cut the head off the bolt. the bolt is one of 2 that holds the caliper to the hub(?).

Are these factory bolts? If not where can I find one? Only other parts store open today closes @6. really need to give this buttoned up tonight.

TIA

·
Registered
945 Posts
your talking about the axle to caliper mounting bracket bolt right. Get a grade 8 bolt that size and you will be alright.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
If its a caliper bolt they sometimes con with new caliper

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
my bolt like that the head was stripped off it from previous owner. i ended up welding a 1/2" nut to the head and i just use a 3/4" socket to remove if i ever have to now cuz the dealer wanted like $40 bucks for the caliper bolt, told them to get lost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i replaced mine when i did my rear brakes. they had them at auto zone i forgot how much they were.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm about to change my brakes, what torque should I do for the front and rear? Also what tools do I need for this job? Believe it or not, this is my first brake job on my truck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If your refering to the torx style bolts, that bolt the caliper to the bracket, then you can get them at the auto parts store. They are the same thread as the caliper bolts for the front. So if you can't get replacements specifically for the back, ask for caliper bolts for the front. They are better any ways since they have a regular hex head, rather than a torx head.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys

it's the caliper mounting bolt (9/16 x 11 ?) not the bolt the caliper slides on... no one seems to have them (advance, autozone & o'riellys) i think i found one at Lowes, but they were closing so I didn't have time to really tell if the threads were the same

I guess i'll see if i can limp into stealership & see if they have one in the AM

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no bracket bolts with calipers i purchased (R1 Concepts)

BTW... GM# 15012506 for anyone needing part for future reference & 2 dealers I went to didn't have the part. they referred me to other dealers. so, call before you make a visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Using heat

I too have stuck lower rear caliper bracket mounting bolts, part 15012506. I really can't tell what size the head is supposed to be, 11/16 is too tight and 3/4 or 19mm seem too loose.

No matter the size, where to apply the heat that works the best? Heat the bolt or heat the bracket?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I too have stuck lower rear caliper bracket mounting bolts, part 15012506. I really can't tell what size the head is supposed to be, 11/16 is too tight and 3/4 or 19mm seem too loose.

No matter the size, where to apply the heat that works the best? Heat the bolt or heat the bracket?

Thanks!
been there, done that. yeah I used a map gas torch to heat the bracket ears that are attached to the axel tube. then used a 3/4 to get it off. they are very very tight and they come through with the factory with YELLOW lock tight. I had to replace one of mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Using heat

11/16 is too tight and 3/4 or 19mm seem too loose.
I am battling this right now on the rears. The right side caliper bracket bolts came right out but the left side won't budge. I just ordered a new impact and a set of impact sockets because I tor up a regular socket and broke a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer. I wish I could find a six point box wrench I could hammer on for the top bolt because there's no access with an impact due to interference from the leaf spring. Anyway I just thought I'd add that the caliper bolts require an 18mm socket. a 19mm or 3/4" might strip the heads. The slide bolts are a T55 Torx. The bit I had didn't work so I ordered a set of L wrenches with a T55. So far heat hasn't helped but I'm soaking everything in penetrating oil daily until my tools arrive. I slid the boots back on the pins and shot some penetrating oil in from the back side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts