Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

181 - 200 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Time to bump the Truck Camper thread with a new pic.

Eureka Alaska

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a 2-1/2" receiver with a 36" extension that I cut down to 22". A truck camper vs a toy hauler really depends on how you want to camp. A truck camper is much shorter and allows you to camp remotely and also tow all kinds of trailers with all kinds of toys. A toy hauler has limited height for UTV's and limited length. Who wants a smelly muddy ATV/UTV in a camper??? But if you need space for a large family, a toy hauler is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
A picture of my friend from last week.
Sloan on deck.jpg

·
Registered
995 Posts
A toy hauler makes sense if you are going to carry small vehicles to a fixed location where you will stay for days. It is also less expensive than a truck and camper and vehicle trailer. I see most hunters though putting one to two ATV's into the bed of their pickup and then towing a standard trailer. A trailer costs half as much as truck camper (unless you buy an Airsteam) and has much more space and larger holding tanks, larger fridge, double the storage space, and a dry bath. The trailer is also all on one level and no need to climb up to sleep.

The advantage of the truck camper without a trailer is being able to navigate tight roads and needing less space to pull off the highway and faster to make and break camp. There are also many campsites in the west that will not accommodate an RV longer than 30 feet so more restrictive in terms of where you go and when and the need to have reservations or arrive very early in the day.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Just picked up our new camper last Tuesday.......
IMG_20161105_173223678_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161105_173317336_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161105_172314285.jpg

IMG_20161105_172433665.jpg

IMG_20161105_172359967.jpg

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Doesn't even look like a truck camper in the main living area. Very nice!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 07 lance, It gets a lot of intention because it's not something you see everyday in europe .

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
What does something like that run?
Way to mutch lol. It is an Eagle Cap 1160. Prices vary depending on where you get it from.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
My 07 lance, It gets a lot of intention because it's not something you see everyday in europe .

I bet it does turn some heads on that big truck to boot.:neener How tall is it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bet it does turn some heads on that big truck to boot.:neener How tall is it?
thanks man, to be honest i forgot to measure it :eek:hno

congrats on your new camper man, it looks very nice!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nice to see some real trucks built to haul a load on here! I get tired of seeing 6" lifted trucks with over sized load range D mud tires that are nothing more than mall crawler grocery getters.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Read through the posts. Great looking rigs.

Question- GM in their insight really lowered the camper rate of the trucks. My 2016 2500 HD, CCSB 4x4 is listed as 1472 lbs??

What has changed that has reduced the rating? Some of these rigs are a good 2500+ weight. I'm concerned that Chevy and my insurance company would disavow any and all responsibility for issues that would arise, mechanical / damages.

I like the idea of the TC for I can store it on the property and its the wife, lab and I.

·
Registered
995 Posts
overload springs needed

The bed of a truck with its load should be level. If not then it needs help in the form of air bags or SuperSprings with my vote going for the latter. With the rear sagging there is more movement of the bed which is hard on the shock absorbers and hard on the frame of the camper (which is why these very long campers often fail in the rear section). It also makes for a very unsafe vehicle when any kind of emergency maneuver is required for any reason.

With these extremely heavy campers I would want a 2011 or newer GM, or 2013 or newer RAM, or 2016 or newer Ford truck to get the much stronger frames that were introduced by their manufacturers.

As a side note, it took less than an hour to add a set of double leaf SuperSprings to my Duramax truck and increase the load support by 2800 pounds. With a 3700 pound camper load in the bed the truck is perfectly level and no pitching when driving down the highway as the shocks are not overworked.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Max weight in the bed.

...As a side note, it took less than an hour to add a set of double leaf SuperSprings to my Duramax truck and increase the load support by 2800 pounds. With a 3700 pound camper load in the bed the truck is perfectly level and no pitching when driving down the highway as the shocks are not overworked.
Are you saying that the camper weight limit is due to the springs? Beefing the springs will help with the load capacity.

Will the axles 'weight' in to this also?

What is puzzling is the sticker in the glovebox says 1472 lbs and the specs state max 5th wheel tongue weight 3475 lbs. This is what is confusing 'dunno;.... why low weight on the camper and twice the weight for the tongue of the 5thwheel?

Yes, the Noobie is showing....

Thanks for the explanation / help in understanding this.

181 - 200 of 243 Posts