Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Newer truck, older lance

Finally moved the Lance from the old truck to the new.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I'd add my rig to the list of chevy's with campers...It rides excellent, after adding bigger Cognito sway bars F&R (wasn't one in the back...), airbags, Bilsteins and StableLoads. And stopping was improved (and required) with a set of Powerstop rotors and pads F&R. I have, many times, driven over mountain passes in WA state, and she simply shifts down one gear and grinds up the hill at 1800 rpm. Doesn't even warm up unless it's in the 80+ degree range outside. I occasionally tow my boat as well, no problem...

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah i was wondering if the lifts were close to maxing out, at any rate it sure is a nice camper, what model?
And I do agree my '07 dually sure was a nice upgrade from my 2000 F350 SRW.

I did hate selling the 7.3L at first, but after owning the Chevy a few months now there is no way I would go back the Ford.
The ride, power performance, creature comforts and I absolutely love the Allison trans.
Im going to be putting in a Aero 62 gal tank soon, I'm near Sacramento so Ill have to scheduled an appointment with them, Im sure you know there is San Berdo. Its the only company that makes a tank for a 07 Ext-Cab LB.

2015 Lance 1050S

·
Registered
582 Posts
Got mine all washed, waxed, and an adhesive drip rail installed across the front nose of the camper to keep the chalky residue from the roof off the trucks windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got mine all washed, waxed, and an adhesive drip rail installed across the front nose of the camper to keep the chalky residue from the roof off the trucks windshield.
Northwood makes good stuff, I've got a '09 Arctic Fox 990, its rock solid.
I just buffed out and waxed mine.
The drip rail empty's on the edges?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The drip rail empty's on the edges?
It's peaked in the center with a 1/2" drop towards the ends. The water drains out just in front of the corner edge trim, sure beats on the windshield. And yes, Northwood makes some nice stuff!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is that fascinating dolly-like contraption between the truck and trailer? Got any more pics?
Never seen that either.
Im guessing to keep the hitch form dragging, I have an extended hitch that drags going into steep driveway with camper on.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Never seen that either.
Im guessing to keep the hitch form dragging, I have an extended hitch that drags going into steep driveway with camper on.
I think it's too big for something that's only supposed to make intermittent contact with the ground. Looks like it's designed for continuous load bearing; i.e., take weight off the truck wheels. Probably pretty useful since most SRW trucks (3/4-tons especially) with truck campers and trailers would be over their rear tire/axle specs. I'm just curious about who makes it and the legalities; I wonder if it's considered a trailer (thus making the actual trailer a "double-tow" scenario, which is illegal in many states with the exception of qualifying fifth-wheel setups and a driver with a class A and double/triple endorsement). I've heard of stuff like this that does not add an articulation point (the connection to the truck is rigid in the "yaw" axis) but I'm not sure how it's seen by law enforcement. I suspect it's open to the interpretation of the LEO.

The fact that the inventors of the Automated Safety Hitch quote Wayne Dyer (a leading "New Thought" crackpot/crank/quack) on their website does not inspire confidence!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It is a "Trailer Toad". It was designed to eliminate tongue weight on the towing vehicle. They come is 3500 and 5000 pound versions. They are very popular in the racing world where most are sold to motorhomes and stacker trailers. Totally eliminates dragging the trailer jack! It is also legal in at least 48 states, no lights or license required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know its an old post but what size tire and wheel combo were you running? I have the same truck and trying to go back to something that looks stockish or not as wide as I got now. Trying to get to where I can get a camper in the bed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I know its an old post but what size tire and wheel combo were you running? I have the same truck and trying to go back to something that looks stockish or not as wide as I got now. Trying to get to where I can get a camper in the bed.
Who are you referencing for tire and wheel combo?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Who are you referencing for tire and wheel combo?
Dunno what your running but I'm running 265/75/r16 yet am on the stick wheels for an 03... Truck rides good with the 3k alpenlite in the back.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have any of you truck camper guys installed a rear stabilizer bar? I know that Chevy/GMC trucks are much more rigid than Ford's or Dodge's with their excessive sway, but I plan on moving down to Idaho next summer and I hear the winds/crosswinds can get rough and a stabilizer may help. I already have lower Stable Loads and HD Timbren's and sway has not been an issue up here in AK, but I see lots of wind out west.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would highly recommend adding sway bars in the rear. I even replaced the fronts with heavier duty ones. I did these back in 2007.

I also added the lower Torklift StableLoads in 2014, which were a great improvement in the wind.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I added a Hellwig to the rear. It made a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is a great thread! I would have never considered owning a slide in camper until I saw how roomy they are with 2 slide outs and a dry bathroom. I was looking for an excuse to get back into a diesel. Now going to check Craigslist to see what's available near me and dream up some sort of plan to convince the wife.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is a great thread! I would have never considered owning a slide in camper until I saw how roomy they are with 2 slide outs and a dry bathroom. I was looking for an excuse to get back into a diesel. Now going to check Craigslist to see what's available near me and dream up some sort of plan to convince the wife.
If you go that large you'll need a 3500 dually minimum. These campers are heavy and will overload your truck and tires pretty quick. A gasser has a larger payload than diesel also due to the engine/tranny weight.

221 - 240 of 243 Posts