Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2068 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Caught a nasty gust at the same moment I hit an ice patch on I-90E just west of Mitchell, SD. This was after three of four of my snow chains broke earlier in the day while driving on completely ice-covered back roads across the state (I-90 was closed through most of the day). Took 12 hours and a $400 recovery job to cover 280 miles. Miraculously, no one was injured and no equipment was damaged.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Are the cats ok?

I been on those Dakota interstates in the winter, pulling new campers on ice. Around 25 mph Max is about what is safe.

I'm interested where you coming from? I try to avoid I 90. 94 to the north is a flatter road. I would drive 94 whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Are the cats ok?

I been on those Dakota interstates in the winter, pulling new campers on ice. Around 25 mph Max is about what is safe.
They sure are and they thank you for asking. Although our big boy (Bengal / Maine Coon mix) seemed a bit rattled. He's "emotionally fragile" at times.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen roads that bad in my life. 100+ meter long sheets of ice with no sand or salt as far as I could tell. When we headed out this morning the median and roadsides were littered with cars and trucks that had run off the road overnight. Glad we called it a night when we did; the roads are totally fine now. Should be in IN by tonight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
JD: glad all is ok.

Looks like the wrecker is pulling you ACROSS the median. Looks like it would be an easy pull straight out. How did the extraction really lay out?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Don't you in know gotta pull him out get him turned in the opposite direction. So he has to go up the road turn around and head back and loss it again.... Second Tow bill FTW.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
JD: glad all is ok.

Looks like the wrecker is pulling you ACROSS the median. Looks like it would be an easy pull straight out. How did the extraction really lay out?
I wound up pretty much all the way on the far side of the median, so to pull me out and have me facing the direction of traffic he had to pull me back across. There was some concern about the camper rolling over so to minimize that risk the angle at which he pulled me across was pretty steep in order to get the camper righted as quickly as possible. It may look odd from that picture but I think they did it just right.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Reached Portage, IN last night. Spending the day in Chicago with my wife's family.

@Collins, turns out when the right-rear tensioning chain (the long one) failed it wrecked the side of my truck bed (those little specks are actual paint chips). I had already been hearing a lot of noise out there from small sections of broken chain smacking my plastic mud flaps (in addition to the overall sound of the chains on the road) so I didn't realize what was happening.

I picked up a new set of chains in Mitchell, SD yesterday morning because I'm sure I'll need them to get the camper back up onto the ridge in NJ. Hope they suck less than the previous set.

"Experience is the thing you get right after you need it."

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Caught a nasty gust at the same moment I hit an ice patch on I-90E just west of Mitchell, SD. This was after three of four of my snow chains broke earlier in the day while driving on completely ice-covered back roads across the state (I-90 was closed through most of the day). Took 12 hours and a $400 recovery job to cover 280 miles. Miraculously, no one was injured and no equipment was damaged.

Latest trip

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Looking at my pictures followed by yours makes me think that you may be on to something...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looking at my pictures followed by yours makes me think that you may be on to something...
Haha I've had plenty of those drives too. Last one was a trip from MT to Chicago in Dec.

My famous last words to the wife, "I can turn around in that parking lot..that snow doesn't look deep"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Reached Portage, IN last night. Spending the day in Chicago with my wife's family.

@Collins, turns out when the right-rear tensioning chain (the long one) failed it wrecked the side of my truck bed (those little specks are actual paint chips). I had already been hearing a lot of noise out there from small sections of broken chain smacking my plastic mud flaps (in addition to the overall sound of the chains on the road) so I didn't realize what was happening.

I picked up a new set of chains in Mitchell, SD yesterday morning because I'm sure I'll need them to get the camper back up onto the ridge in NJ. Hope they suck less than the previous set.

"Experience is the thing you get right after you need it."

YIKES!! Sometimes I actually stop and see what it is that's making those new noises. But that's just me.

I have been buying SSC cable chains. They make a "Z" design so something is always touching the road which eliminates the thump thump, plus they are much easier to put on and satisfy GM's "S" clearance requirement for tire chains. Admittedly cable chains are not nearly as aggressive as the traditional chains you are using but I wonder how the 2 designs would compare from the endurance and performance standpoints. Of course it's pretty rare that I get to use them, but if the opportunity ever comes up I've got 'em.

I bought a new Big Blazer in 1973 - 2 months after graduation - and put 33" tires on it at a time when that was really unusual (radical). I bought 2 sets of real tire chains and added links and cross links so they would fit these tires. Got to put them on one time in Gatlinberg when we woke up to 14" of snow and needed to cross the mountain to NC side. Took me 2 hours to put them on, but good grief that thing looked tough!!

I'm still shaking my head from your further explanation of the unintended median excursion; that you actually crossed the median and almost into the oncoming lane of traffic. I'll bet that was a ride you and the Mrs. won't soon forget. And, I'm assuming you will arrive back in NJ with 1 less pair than you left with.

Safe travels on the rest of your trip!

·
Registered
151 Posts

Yikes - I once had a tire chain come off my on a road that was sheer ice. Chain fell to the inside, wrapped around my e brake cable, and tightened the cable locking up the drivers side rear wheel...made for an interesting ride into the ditch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Yikes - I once had a tire chain come off my on a road that was sheer ice. Chain fell to the inside, wrapped around my e brake cable, and tightened the cable locking up the drivers side rear wheel...made for an interesting ride into the ditch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sucks pretty bad. I'm thankful that in my case the only damage was cosmetic. When the chains started to disintegrate I kept "patching" them with zip ties and bungee cords; ghetto as hell. I was worried the damn things would wrap the axle and sever a brake line or something.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Haha I've had plenty of those drives too. Last one was a trip from MT to Chicago in Dec.

My famous last words to the wife, "I can turn around in that parking lot..that snow doesn't look deep"

Sounds familiar.

1981 - 2000 of 2068 Posts