Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2085 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Out w the old and in w the new. Went Andersen ultimate hitch... Love it... So easy in and out..
Which Anderson did you go with? Also which rail kit? I am torn between the goose neck and the standard rail system

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
About 4" but its about 1/2" from my tool box... Truck has a small lift in it 2" blocks in the rear. Options were to install the dexter torflex lift blocks in the camper 2.5" lift... which I wasn't a super fan of,

Instead, I'm removing the 2" truck block and installing a 1" block and then raising the Andersen hitch 1.5" so I'll have 5.5 over bed and 2" over tool box..

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I looked at the Anderson, but found a few accounts of them folding up under extreme deceleration. I went with the all steel version built by Pullrite. ( model#1261-1 for rail mount- 52 LBS ) and model #2600 ( 64 LBS ) that I got that attaches to the gooseneck ball.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I looked at the Anderson, but found a few accounts of them folding up under extreme deceleration. I went with the all steel version built by Pullrite. ( model#1261-1 for rail mount- 52 LBS ) and model #2600 ( 64 LBS ) that I got that attaches to the gooseneck ball.
That had to have been a serious decel and no trailer brakes..... would be curious to see the articles and or pictures... Haven't seen anything... How long ago?

EDIT saw 2 (in last 4 years and the AUH has been mad 30% stronger) and those trailers were HUGE and alot of weight, sounds like there were other issues...... I'm in an ultra lite and only 28'

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Here is the only pic that I have of the current setup. The wife took it when I was in the middle of setting up the WD hitch. Trust me, it sits correctly now. Our driveway runs uphill right there too so it’s hard to get a clean/level shot of it there, too.

The fairly obvious first:
2006. Just bought it from a dealer. One owner before that. Have ever receipt for every service, even every oil change and fuel filter change. 206,000 on the clock. Really clean truck for the age/mileage. Liking it a lot so far.

The wife’s house on wheels:
2020 Grand Designs Imagine 2600 RB
Bought it new last July. It’s our third travel trailer and fourth camper. (Didn’t everyone have a pop up at one point? LOL) We really like it. Just got home from spending 4 days in it, yesterday.

The LBZ doesn’t even hardly know it is back there but I’m spoiled now because my past two trucks (2014 and 2017) were 1500 Silverados with L83 5.3’s and 6L80E transmissions.

Edit: While I’m at it, does anyone have a good lead on hitch pins that don’t bend? I’m running a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch and I like to use locking pins so I can leave the hitch in, while we are camping. I’ve bent three locking and one non-locking pin. This last one is really bad and only has this past weekend’s trip on it (300 miles, all expressway BUT they were Michigan expressways so....).

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I ran the reese locking hitch pin on my 06 pulling my camper. it was only 4,600 lbs though.

I think its this one. Trailer Hitch Towing Lock

Are you running the correct diameter pin?
Just bent one just like it. I need to get a pic of it. They are rated to Class 5 (which is the hitch platform that i just installed on the truck to replace the factory hitch). The pins are the correct diameter. Last I knew, there is only two pin sizes. The smaller one is for a Class 2. Class 3, 4, 5 and 6 all use the same diameter. 1/2 or 5/8”, I think? I’ve have been towing things since I was 18 (just turned 43) and I’ve never bent one until I started using this Reese WD setup. Our first travel trailer was only 500-550 lbs of tongue weight. I don’t remember bending one with that trailer. Our last two trailers have been 700-900 lbs of tongue weight. I’m using 1200 lb rated torsion bars correctly set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thats quite strange to bend one like that. Can you tell if its vent due to vertical load, or is it bent from horizontal load, and from which direction? Wonder if braking loads are killing the pin?

Almost sounds like the receiver and hitch are wrong size for each other. Any pics of the setup?

Check out that forum. Someone stated they were having issues with the sleeve causing it to bend pins.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Thats quite strange to bend one like that. Can you tell if its vent due to vertical load, or is it bent from horizontal load, and from which direction? Wonder if braking loads are killing the pin?

Almost sounds like the receiver and hitch are wrong size for each other. Any pics of the setup?

Check out that forum. Someone stated they were having issues with the sleeve causing it to bend pins.
It’s been multiple trucks and multiple pins. As far as which way they are bending that’s a good question because silly me, I’ve never marked the pins orientation to the hitch before pulling it out.

I’ll try to get a picture of the pin tonight. If anything, it might be the hitch shank but the pins always go in without any fuss like something is bent or out of alignment. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
812 Posts
When you get a pic, see if you can get one of the hitch and the receiver and the play around it. Wondering if you got on off spec receiver tube or something.
Also check the up/down and side to side play.
Marking a hitch pin is a crap shoot. I think they turn in the hole, but if you mark it when you put it in, and then check the mark when you pull it will let you know if its walking around in the hole.

Is this a new WDH? or just a new receiver on the truck?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
When you get a pic, see if you can get one of the hitch and the receiver and the play around it. Wondering if you got on off spec receiver tube or something.
Also check the up/down and side to side play.
Marking a hitch pin is a crap shoot. I think they turn in the hole, but if you mark it when you put it in, and then check the mark when you pull it will let you know if its walking around in the hole.

Is this a new WDH? or just a new receiver on the truck?
This hitch shank has never fit either of my past two trucks hitches “tight”. It certainly has some play.

Shank got changed out when we bought our previous camper new back in 2015. I can’t recall exactly when it started bending pins.

My current HD does have a brand new Curt Class 5 platform that I just put on it. However, I still have the 2017 Silverado 1500 lease to turn in, in my driveway and the hitch fits the same in both trucks. Play in all four directions. Nothing that I would think is super excessive though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I know that this will not address the problem, but if you find a regular pin that holds up, when you get to the campsite and take the bars off the hitch, swap out the regular pin to the locking pin.
You said Class 5, but is the receiver a 2" or a 2 1/2" ?
Have heard of others that tow heavy (with the 2 1/2" receiver and the sleeve) having issues with pins.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Collegiate Peaks near Buena Vista

·
Registered
163 Posts
Beautiful scenery. Looks like shade might be hard to come by...
We didn't camp in this spot specifically. I just wanted to get the pano pic!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Finally remembered to snap a couple of pictures of my bent hitch pin. 300 miles on this one. Claimed that it can be used in class 3, 4 and 5 hitches. I had one regular and two other locking (both of those were Master stainless) pins pretty similar to this. Buddy of mine that’s been an RV tech for 25 years says he’s never seen this with just normal WD hitch use. Guess I’ll buy a box of plain pins from etrailer and just swap them out after each trip. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Finally remembered to snap a couple of pictures of my bent hitch pin. 300 miles on this one. Claimed that it can be used in class 3, 4 and 5 hitches. I had one regular and two other locking (both of those were Master stainless) pins pretty similar to this. Buddy of mine that’s been an RV tech for 25 years says he’s never seen this with just normal WD hitch use. Guess I’ll buy a box of plain pins from etrailer and just swap them out after each trip. 🤦🏻‍♂️ View attachment 1077372 View attachment 1077373
Looking at your pics, it almost appears as if the pin is wearing excessively or getting ready to shear.

Have you checked your trailer brakes and their settings? Do you feel the trailer brakes "grab" like the drums might be warped or something? The only other thing I can think of is to check the hitch to see that it is binding itself in the tube and not sitting on the pin. I.E. check to see that there is no gap on the top (IIRC the hitch gets pulled to the top of the receiver to lift the rear of the truck).

What model of WD hitch do you have? I want to look through the instructions. My Blue Ox said to set trailer and truck on level surface, take two measurements: 1 - unloaded hitch height, 2 - loaded hitch height. The difference should be about 1". I had to play with the settings on the chains a couple of times to get it where it needed to be along with keeping proper traction. About 1-1/2" was the magic number for me. Truck sat level, and had good traction. If it got to less than 1", I would loose rear traction on dry ground. Stock tuning on 06 true LBZ.

2041 - 2060 of 2085 Posts